Hotel in Seattle - Near Pier 66

Kaeleigh

Greetings!

My fiance and I are sailing out of Seattle on 9/4 on the NCL Spirit (Out of Pier 66) ! We are looking for a reasonable (under 100 if possible) hotel within walking distance of the pier for the night before the cruise. Any guidance and help would be appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance

We just stayed at the Crown Plaza not walking distance but a short cab ride to Pier 66.We got it on Hotwire for $87 with tax and fees $105. The rate on expedia was $193. I was able to identify it from the info on given at biddingforfun.com Priceline also has some good deals and you can look at biddingfortravel.com for some bidding advice. We would stay at Crown Plaza again in a heartbeat. It is close to alot of eateries, in walking distance to the waterfront and trolley and also the Seattle Art Museum. We were sailing on the Sapphire and it worked out great.

We also stayed at the Crowne Plaza and were very happy there. We walked everywhere and also went to the Seattle Art Museum.(ask the concierge if the passes are available saved us $60.00 for the 4 of us) I got a suite on the club level for $97.00 AARP rate on their website which included breakfast and afternoon snacks. Upon early check-in our room wasn't ready so the manager upgraded us to a bigger suite. Can't say enough great things about this hotel!

Thank you both for your help and input!

We ended up trying Priceline, for the heck of it and got a pretty good deal! 3 Stars for $65! The hotel is the Renaissance Seattle, and on their website the cheapest room was $129, so I'm quite pleased.

It appears to be about 1.4 miles from the pier, so unless the streets are horrid, I'm pretty sure we could walk it! Hopefully our luggage won't be too too bad.

Thank you all again!

Elizabeth :)

Don't worry about walking to the pier and dragging your luggage. We found cab fare very inexpensive in Seattle and it appears that the drivers are use to short halls. You just might want to consider a little extra tip for the short trip.

It appears to be about 1.4 miles from the pier, so unless the streets are horrid, I'm pretty sure we could walk it! Hopefully our luggage won't be too too bad.

Seattle has pretty steep hills down to the waterfront. I wouldn't walk it. It could make for an interesting walk with luggage.

I'd have to agree with the last person who posted. I wouldn't recommend walking with luggage in Seattle. I'd grab a cab, but if cost is really a concern, call Seattle Metro and find out how to get there by city transit buses. Buses are free within the downtown Seattle zone.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to live in Seattle until last year, and have been back many times over the past year to visit. I always stay at the Renaissance! It is a great hotel, close to everything. I have walked from this hotel all the way down to the pier in the past, but I will admit that I knew the area and just didn't walk down one street. The best way to do it is to ask someone from the hotel how to get to Westlake center from there walk straight down until you hit pikes place market. Take the elevator down to the bottom level. Next you will have some stairs to walk down, nothing too hard. Once you are at sea level the pier is only 1 or 2 blocks away. Not that bad of a walk.....BUT it is also a really easy cab ride. SHOULD be a fairly cheap cab ride. I don't remember if the hotel has a shuttle or not...might ask.

Hope this helps.

TW, if you had the choice, would you choose Edgewater or Marriott? I've posted about this a few times, trying to get a good opinion, was quoted the same price for both and can't decide. Think the Edgewater would give me "more of that pacific northwest feel"?? Thanks, Menina

Did you specify downtown and 3 or 4 star? Just wondering about which level/price to expect. Would you be "safe" with a 3 star? Looking for several rooms for precruise NEXT year (June 2nd). Has anyone satyed at Hampton Inn - friend of mine stayed there. What is YOUR opinion? Will be flying from Jackson, MS and wanting a clean reasonable cost hotel/motel that may offer breakfast or within walking distance of some attractions. We probably won't get in early enough to do much sightseeing any way. Also, how much is cab fare from this area to pier? Are all ships docked in vicinity of Pier 66? We will be on MERCURY sailing.

Thanks for any and all info/advice! Airport pickup (complimentary from hotel) would be great also!

I believe you're going to find that the Hampton Inn is not within walking distance of the pier. Have you looked at it on the map? Its only a couple of blocks from the Seattle Center and I wouldn't consider that walkable unless I had no luggage and did have a good amount of enthusiasm.

Don't know why you all are assuming that the pier areas are in a wonderfully safe area. Depending upon what time of the day you're walking around down there, it might be...might not be. I'd stick with the cheap hotel and a taxi if its just a room for the night, or one of the hotels right there near the pier with a view.

What I am looking for is a reasonably priced hotel for precruise stay that picks up from the airport and possibly offers a free or inexpensive breakfast while being close enough to some attractions that we could walk to IF our flights even got in early enough to do that. I was wondering what properties might come up on Priceline as 3 or 4 star and what anyone has got them for recently.We will take a cab to the pier. I'd never try lugging all my luggage to the pier no matter how close! Any and all help would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Kalamari,

I live in Portland, Oregon, but travel to Seattle a lot. My all time favorite hotel in Seattle is the Edgewater. It is a beautiful hotel and the rooms are decorated in a Northwest feel. The difference between the Edgewater and the Marriott is that the Edgewater is down on the pier (with beautiful water views if you ask for a bay view room) and the Marriott is up above the waterfront. (Seattle downtown is 2-level: the waterfront and then you need to take stairs/elevator up the hillside to the main downtown area.) The Edgewater may have a towncar that will take you to the main part of downtown -- may hotels in Seattle downtown area offer that if they are not right in the middle of downtown.

Hope this helps.

Lav

Dear Luv2Cruise,

I don't think you're going to find everything you indicate you would like to have pre-cruise in Seattle. I'd say you're going to have to pick and chose what's most important to you, i.e. price vs. location. The cruise port is located relatively close to downtown. Hotels in the city are expensive, most beginning at $150 and on up plus the added-on hefty city, country, state and hotel taxes. Ouch! The cheap hotels are out at the airport and there's nothing out there BUT the airport.

Have you checked out any of the smaller boutique hotels? Seattle has several. The Crowne Plaza (not a boutique hotel by any means) can be had rather inexpensively on one of the bidding sites online but don't expect a room with a stunning view of the waterfront. The Crowne Plaza is located right in downtown and its easy to get pretty nearly anywhere from downtown. Remember, the city buses are excellent and free within the downtown zone. I would think Seattle Metro (the transit system) probably has a website. Check it out. Otherwise, use the hotel's concierge if there is one and spring for the taxi when sensible. Remember, the city is not flat. It looks like it on a map. Trust me, its not. Enquire with the concierge about van service to the port, otherwise take a cab!

Shuttle Express has a great operation at the Sea Tac airport and if you're in a group it would be very reasonably priced but you might need to warn them ahead of time. I'm sure they've got a website. You will find their desk in the parking garage across from the airport. Take the escalator upstairs from Baggage Claim, take the sky bridge over to the parking garage and go downstairs to the Transportation Hub. Shuttle Express has a desk there. They guarantee you'll be on your way in 25 minutes or less.

I would seriously doubt that any inexpensive hotel in downtown (if there is such a thing) is going to offer free shuttle service from the airport. The airport is located south of town. Only those hotels close to the airport might truck you across the highway in their van but there's nothing out there but the airport. You'd be nowhere near the port nor downtown, nor the Seattle Center if you're looking for touristy stuff.

If you stay anywhere downtown and only have the day, by all means visit the Pike Place Market which has fabulous breakfast places and about a million other sights and sounds. Or if you're into it, The Seattle Art Museum is top notch. Or go on out to The Seattle Center by bus or monorail, if its running after the fire on it. Take a city tour on Grayline, which can be arranged at any downtown hotel lobby. Jump on the ferry to Bremerton and back. Gosh there are tons of things to do. But nothing in Seattle is cheap and remember everything is taxed to the max.

Good luck and have a ball.

If you are looking for a good deal in Seattle, I use http://www.seattlesupersaver.com. Occasionally you can find lower prices on the "normal" travel webs or, of course, if you bid, but I have found this website to be the one I use the most when I travel to Seattle. Their winter rates are very good and you know exactly where you are staying.

Lav

That was some great info - thanks alot. I still would like to know, however, what star rating people are using for Seattle downtown and if they know what possibilities there are on price range. I've forgotten about transportation and free breakfast. Now just looking for good price and location! I've used priceline several times for MIA and FLL, but knew ahead of time that I would be "safe" with a 3* for example in downtown Miami as all the properties were ok. Just don't know a thing about Seattle!

LavenderR, thanks so much..have been on vacation for a few days so jus checking boards now. My sweetie says Marriot is closer to Pier 66. I have a whopping few hours with him (havent seen hiim since March) so "time if of the essence" if you know what I mean :) I am not going to rent a car, am giong to have a town car pick me up at the airport. What I'd spend in a cheaper hotel and rental car is better spent paying the money for the hoteland being able to walk everywhere as I will be there only two days.

He made it seem like I could walk to his ship within 5 minutes, does that make sense? Thanks, Menina

Kalamari,

I live in Portland, Oregon, but travel to Seattle a lot. My all time favorite hotel in Seattle is the Edgewater. It is a beautiful hotel and the rooms are decorated in a Northwest feel. The difference between the Edgewater and the Marriott is that the Edgewater is down on the pier (with beautiful water views if you ask for a bay view room) and the Marriott is up above the waterfront. (Seattle downtown is 2-level: the waterfront and then you need to take stairs/elevator up the hillside to the main downtown area.) The Edgewater may have a towncar that will take you to the main part of downtown -- may hotels in Seattle downtown area offer that if they are not right in the middle of downtown.

Hope this helps.

Lav

Luv2Cruise,

Just returned from Seattle and i'm very experienced with Priceline and Hotwire (my recent stay was on a Priceline win).

As the above poster mentioned, if you want to see the sights you want to stay Downtown as there is nothing near the airport except for the airport itself.

Priceline's downtown zone is quite large while Hotwire breaks this zone into two separate zones; ideally you want to be in the area around Pike Place Market (rather than near the Needle). All of the 4* hotels that have been reported on Priceline have been in a 'good' downtown location, once you start looking at 3* priceline hotels you become less certain of an ideal location since some of the 3* hotels are near the needle.

If you choose to go for less than a 4* hotel Hotwire may be a better choice since they sub-divide the zone and you can select the area surrounding Pike Market (thus not subjecting yourself to the area around the needle).

Seattle is an expensive hotel market, especially in the summertime.

Taxi fare from the airport to downtown is $25 per taxi.

Archived