Late or Main Seating in Bermuda???

stace11

Hello everyone,

Just wanted some feedback on which seating most prefer while on the Bermuda run? I've always done main, but I'm thinking since we're in port for several days, maybe late is better. I would love any opinions from those with experience.

Cheers!

Stacey

We are set for main seating when we go next week. I just don't think I can deal with dinner not starting until 8:30pm. What are the dining options for not eating in the dining room? Is there a buffet that is open from 6-10pm where you can just show up?

8 days until we leave!

Susan

They do have alternative dining upstairs in the buffet. But you have to make reservations to eat there. There is always room service and you can order off of the dinner menu that is being served that night.

Marilou

We just got back July 3rd from the Zenith (NY-Bermuda) and had the late seating. Eating later didn't bother me in that there was enough going on during the day, that I fealt that leaving at 5 to go shower, change and have a cocktail before dinner was too hurried. Some of did hit the sishi bar (no extra charge) between 6-7 to have something to tide us over until dinner. I don't remember anyone making reservations for the buffet dinner.

(by the way if you have a lovely night and are up late you can order room service anytime and then take it up by the pool under the stars.)

How far in advance do you have to make a reservation. Can you call at 6:30 and get a 7:30 reservation? I know main seating will be fine for the nights we're not in port. But since most stuff closes at 5-6 pm, I don't want to miss something to run back and get to dinner early. Main seating is at 6:15? late at 8:30?

I'm sure we won't starve....

And yes, I'm going to tip even if I skip the dining room a night or two. So let's not even think about going there :-)

And on a totally unrelated topic, Does anyone know if the Gombey dancers are at the street fair in Hamilton? I think they are in St. George on Tuesday, but it looked like it would take nearly an hour by bus to get there from Hamilton (where we are docked on tuesday).

We are just off the Horizon and we had late seating. Personally, I would rather have earlier. 8:30 was just a little too late. We did do the alternative service one night and that was really nice. We called that afternoon for a 6:OOpm reservation, but other people just showed up and were accommodated. Hope this helps.

Missing it already!!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm not sure it convinced me one way or another, though. I think I'll stick with main seating. I'm going with my Mom and I'm not sure she can wait until 8:30 for dinner. =) I simply want to avoid feeling rushed for main seating if we are ashore somewhere fun. We love eating in the dining room, so I guess we'll just have to prioritize in order to make sure we're ready in time.

booksl - what are some not-to-miss things on the island?

Getting on in Phila was probably the easiest we have ever had. We got there around 11:15 and we were eating lunch by 12:00. It went very smooth. I was sorry that I didn't pack my bathing suit in my carry on, because the weather was great and we sat by the pool.

Bermuda was beautiful, explored the city of Hamilton and went to the beach, there is still so much more to see that I hope to go again soon.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!!!

sue - I think the responses on the alternative dining have confused you. The buffets are not open for dinner, instead they set up a casual "restaurant" in the buffet area. You are seated at a table and served by a waiter, however the menu is a bit different and the atmosphere is more casual than the regular dining room. Having never been on Horizon, I am assuming this is correct based on my experience on Summit and Galaxy. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's how I'm going to deal with this. If I don't make it back for my early seating, I'll try the 'alternative' if I can get in on short notice. Otherwise I'll do room service. Has anyone ever tried showing up for late dinner (when you're an early person) and asking if there is spot for you somewhere? It never hurts to ask I suppose.

Somehow I don't think I'll starve :-)

Susan

We got in on "short notice" to the alternative dining area. We loved it!!! We had main seating also, (S. Carrib cruise Jan 04) and our day in Aruba was so wonderful, we didnt want to rush back for dinner!!! It wasnt crowded, food was really hot when served, and we sat and chatted and drank our wine and had a great evening. Sushi bar is excellent also....did that inplace of dinner one evening. And...as others said, room service is always an option!!!!

Hello to all

We returned from Horizon on July 10. We had late seating and it was fine. We enjoyed having more time to get ready and the lounge act duo performing soft rock favorites was very nice while waiting. FYI, early (main) dinner is 6:00, not 6:15.

Also, remember that ship clocks are moved forward 1 hour the night of departure, (to get us on Bermuda time) so that makes 8:30 fel like 9:30 (at least for the 1st day!). Then you gain the hour back the ninght you leave Bermuda.

Stace11 is correct about alternative dining. We saw them setting up, but never used it. We never used room service either.

We hit the beaches in St G & Hamilton, but we spent the afternoon of our last full day in port at the ship pool. It was great.

If you can, take the high-speed express ferry from hamilton to the Dockyards for shopping and museums. Very nice!

Boarding Philly was a breeze. So was disembarkment. What a pleasure not to have to fly!

Archived