Belikin Beer Tour?

bte567

How much more wholesome to recycle your bottlecaps! Even a heavy drinker should be able to find room in his luggage on his way home for a full set of bottlecaps. "The bottlecap you don't throw down won't cut your foot!" :p

Today's Canadian and American beers are much of a muchness; I can only claim that perhaps most American beers have been worse for longer than most Canadian beers. Molson's Export--about a case a week, at $5 (Cdn) a case plus 50 cents deposit--kept me alive for the year I lived in Canada (1972-73), and I have remained too grateful. Can't really get it in Swampland, so I have been unable to note any deterioration over time. You are the expert witness!

For those who really hate beer, Coors is the closest beverage competing with the taste of water that I know of--which I suppose accounts for some of its popularity. But I suppose we have given enough free plugs on this thread already.

Actually I have tried more "microbrewed" beers than I care to admit over time, but I find that they are able in most cases to compete with the worst "commercial" beers, and are worse at maintaining consistency. Most of them seem to think that the addition of large quantities of malt, or more likely malt syrup, or plain caramel syrup, will make them into "great" beers. The trouble with microbrews is that you expect more--and are unlikely to get it DESPITE their enormous premium price. Another interesting fact is that most higher-volume microbrews are actually produced to the recipe of individual lunatics who think they are brewmasters by the same overblown industrial breweries as every other beer, much as authors who can't find a publisher will contract to publish their own work. If contract breweries can ruin Guinness Stout, they can and will ruin anything.

But again, "de gustibus non est disputandem"--while Foster's lives, all other beers are safe! IMHO. :rolleyes:

Some of the biggest cheeses in brewing prefer wine when they think no one is watching them. But of course not everyone can produce wine, and not so many can afford it.

Archived