Review of NCL Spirit 7/10-7/17 Part 1

jmcspadd

Saturday...Embarkation Day:

We were one of the last to embark. This was due to a TA who said leaving "day of" would be fine. Advice; book a pre-cruise hotel. Anyway, it took about 15 minutes from the embarkation line until we were on board. We actually boarded while the muster drill was going on. We missed it-darn. Our first stop, after checking out our room, was "Henry's Pub" for a well earned drink after traveling all day. Nanette was serving and she was great! We knew after our first encounter, with the on board staff, that this was going to be a very special cruise.

We met up with some CC friends at "Shoguns." It was better than other Teppanyaki type restaurants that I have tried in the past. Our chef was great, and our servers were wonderful. It is well worth the 15 dollar cover charge. We had after dinner drinks at Champagne Charley’s and listened to an entertaining "lounge singer."

Sunday: At Sea

We got up at 6:30 because the travel clock was upside down & Terrie thought it was 11:30. We got up anyway and ate at Windows. Our omelets were not that great. We then went to book our Tracy arm excursion. The crew member was with another couple who had booked a kayaking excursion and then cancelled it 3 times in a row. The crew member was not put off by it. I don't know how they keep their cool with some guests, but they do. At the excursion desk you can also pick up an NCL tee-shirt for only 6.99. We had lunch at Windows again. This time it was great! I had a turkey sandwich on fuccacia bread that was wonderful. Try the pineapple bisque with mint. It's a cold soup that's to die for. It rained all afternoon and night. What had been a trip that was like cruising on silk, turned into a choppy, swaying ride? Many people felt the effects of motion sickness on this day.

It was formal night so we decided to have dinner at Maxims with the same CC friends. But first we stopped at Henrys pub and saw Nanette again. Our server recommended a La French martini that was sooo tasty. Maxim’s was everything we had hoped for. It had great service, elegant decor, fine china, and oh the food. Our table had jumbo shrimp cocktail, Oyster Rockefeller casserole, clam chowder, elegant salads, various steaks, and lobster. For desert I had strawberry cheese cake that was phenomenal! Others had sinful chocolate obsession, and flambé cherries. It was a wonderful dining experience.

Monday... Ketchikan:

Since we wanted to hurry and get ashore in Ketchikan, we ventured into the legendary "Raffles" for a quick breakfast. Yes, it is very much like a "Luby's Cafeteria," but it was not near as bad as I've read in earlier reviews." Terrie had eggs scrambled with salmon pieces. She said she loved it and liked the rest of her breakfast too.

We had to take tenders to Ketchikan. The port can handle only three cruise ships at a time. I was told from one NCL staffer that this was the first time in more than a month that the Spirit had to be tendered. The different cruise ships that travel the Inside Passage take turns on having to tender in Ketchikan. The tender process went very smoothly. Ketchikan was a great port of call. Great touristy shops & cool "local flavor" businesses can be found. We enjoyed drinking Alaskan Amber at "Mikes Elbow Room" with Ketchikan resident, Uncle Joe. He's a retired gentleman with a full white beard. He told stories of Ketchikan’s history and how much the cruise industry has helped this town. The town really caters to the tourists. There are crossing guards at the major intersections to make sure the cruise visitors are safe. Go to "Salmon Etc" for tasty free samples.

Sea planes were everywhere on this stop. It was fun watching them takeoff and land in the water.

Returning to ship was easy on the tender.

We had lunch again at Windows. My Philly cheese steak sandwich was not that great, but Terrie loved her gumbo and soup. For dinner we decided to try "The Garden Room Restaurant." While waiting for a table, the captain announced we were approaching a whale on the port side of the ship. We rushed up to the Promenade deck and saw our first humpback whale.

This night was Jane L. Powell night. Her concert was great! Not to be missed!

Tuesday--Juneau

We slept in late, did not go into Juneau, went right to our "Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer" excursion. What can I say about this excursion? Breathtaking! It was the highlight of the entire cruise. Our captain maneuvered the boat to get as close as possible to the crystal blue glaciers. He guided the boat practically into a massive waterfall. It was gorgeous. That was one of more than a dozen sky high waterfalls we saw. We also saw three humpback whales, bald eagles, as well as dozens and dozens of mama glacier seals and their pups. We witnessed several thunderous glaciers calving. An awesome example of Mother Natures' force. After our six hour journey into Tracy Arm Fjord, we rendezvoused with the Spirit. It was positioned near small glacier chunks...so all on board could get a good view. Everyone on board this excursion boat knew that the view from the Spirit, paled in comparison to the breathtaking-up close-views we enjoyed. Upon leaving the rendezvous point, we saw six whales. That makes TEN whales seen on this cruise and excursion.

Dinner was at "The Garden" restraint with a twenty minute wait. Let me say a few words about the food on the Spirit; the cover charge restaurants are top notch with quality food and service. The other restaurants are hit and miss. One meal may have good, exciting food. The next meal can be worse than eating at a "Denny's." The food at the "free" restaurants, at times seemed mass produced and tasteless. Even if the meal was lacking, the service was still great.

Wednesday-Skagway

Breakfast at "Raffles." I read that the layout of "Raffles" is poor. Well...it is. To get made to order eggs or omelets you must go outside. Then, to get your accompanying coffee, juices and side dishes, you must go inside. If you want to sit on deck, then it's outside again. Our omelets were fantastic!

In Skagway we walked up and down the boardwalk. The weather was great. I wore shorts and a t-shirt. I loved the quaint, laid back atmosphere of this Alaskan city. Back on the ship we ate at "Windows." Terrie loved her soup and Cuban sandwich. I had a hamburger and it was...OK. Later that afternoon, Terrie had her SECOND spa treatment on the cruise. Miss Menchita gave her both treatments. She raved about both and highly recommends indulging yourself. Dinner was at Windows again. This meal was very good.

Thursday-Prince Rupert, BC

You arrive at this port in the afternoon. Again, it was shorts and t-shirt weather. The weather has been phenomenal on this entire cruise. We slept in past noon and decided not to leave the ship at all. I sat at my port side balcony watching the goings on at "Prince Rupert Seafood Products." Workers off-loaded tons of live crab off of a fishing vessel. It was very interesting and the workers worked their tails off! Today was definitely a R & R day for us. Later in the day I overheard some passengers complaining about having a port of call at Prince Rupert. Complaining that there just wasn't much there. I didn't set foot into Prince Rupert, but was completely satisfied watching from my balcony. Upon leaving port, many of the towns residents, waved to us goodbye.

Dinner was at "Raffles." Don't ask.

Archived