Noro Virus On Freedom Of Seas

amusea

I rarely visit the RCCL board but since I am sailing on the Freedom next month I surfed that board today after I heard on the news that the Freedom had been delayed in leaving Miami for two days by the CDC. After reading many posts including some from passengers of the sailing that was just completed it seems that the cruise line has done everything possible to downplay what has been a bad situation for several weeks. On the most recent sailing RCCL reported about 370 documented cases but passengers say that as many as half the passengers were sick (3900 on board!). And, that many others seem to be getting sick after they have disembarked. It would seem that it is difficult to get accurate statistics from any cruise line since it such bad publicity, but not facing the probability of a true outbreak has led to the CDC forbidding the ship to leave for two days until special sanitizing is done.

I was impressed, however, with the compensation that was offered to passengers that were delayed. They were given the option of a 50% refund, a $250 shipboard credit and a 50% discount on a future cruise as well as free transfers and hotel (Hyatt was mentioned) until the ship sails. Also, a free bus tour of Miami to Parrot Jungle where they were served a free buffet and drinks. The other option was a 100% refund if one chose not to sail on the abbreviated cruise and a 50% discount on a future cruise. In that regard I think RCCL has done their best for their passengers in the light of the outbreak.

It was reported that there were fire trucks and ambulances at the pier when the ship arrived so obviously this was not a minor situation.

The Sun Princess reported about 100 REPORTED cases on the cruise just completed. I'm sure there are many other ships with lesser numbers that do not get reported. This is the most cruicial time for the noro and all passengers should take necessary precautions. Perhaps sanitizing liquid or wipes should be mandatory at the entrance to the Lido cafeteria and the dining rooms (provided by the cruise line). One cruise line has already instituted this procedure. It may only be a small preventive measure since frequent hand washing is the best prevention, but it would at least alert all passengers to the problem since there are many who seem to completely ignore the

danger.

Actually, information on Norwalk is not hard to get as the line is required by the CDC to report it.

We had a wonderful time on Freedom and hope you do too. It actually felt a great deal less crowded than a smaller ship (Constellation) we were on earlier in the year. I suppose the benefit of there being things gonig on all the time is that crowds we well dispersed througout the ship. Even on sea days, it was not hard to find seats by one of the pools at mid-morning.

Actually, information on Norwalk is not hard to get as the line is required by the CDC to report it.

We had a wonderful time on Freedom and hope you do too. It actually felt a great deal less crowded than a smaller ship (Constellation) we were on earlier in the year. I suppose the benefit of there being things gonig on all the time is that crowds we well dispersed througout the ship. Even on sea days, it was not hard to find seats by one of the pools at mid-morning.

I hope you are right about the Freedom. I have been cruising since 1969 and have always avoided RCCL, NCL and Carnival. However, a very good friend convinced me to join him and others. I figured if I am going to take the plunge it might as well be on the biggest of the lot.

However, of the mass market cruise lines, I would much rather be on HAL or Celebrity. In addition to RCCL next month I am also sailing on the MSC Lirica. It is really the month of living dangerously for me.

I have to say that we heard a lot of "noise" before we went on Celebrity about it being "a cut above" but the experience was very underwhelming, considering how its fans chatter on about it being so much better than RCL. Guess which cruise on which we had art auctions, bingo announcements (daily), pool games, production shows and a cruise director that reminded us of a used car salesman? The answer is both.

We found the food service to be better on RCL and the food to be of comparable quality (although of a different style) on both. We have either had amazing luck on RCL or bad luck on Celebrity because we have no idea what folks are eating when they rave about the superlative food on Celebrity. Celebrity was a little more continental in cuisine while RCL was more of an American Bistro style of food. The specialty restaurant was more theatrical on Celebrity but the specialty rooms on RCL are not bad, either. The cabins were similar. RCL had much larger balconies (standard balconies on Freedom are about 65 square feet) while Celebrity's were small whereas the bathrooms on RCL were "efficient" and Celebrity's were larger. Both ships had modern-leaning art that was provoking without being offensive. Celebrity meets you at the gangplank and walks you to your room with a glass of housebrand champagne and that seems to mean a lot to some folks but we're able to negotiate the hallways on our own. The average age on RCL seems to be about 40 while Celebrity would be closer to 50 or 55.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that when folks are paying similar rates, they are most likely getting similar service and are kidding themselves if they think otherwise. RCL is not as cheap as the entry-level lines (like Carnival and NCL) and Celebrity is not as pricey as high-end lines (like Cunard). Similar cruises on RCL and Celebrity will be very similar experiences, in my opinion.

We LOVED Freedom and thoght it was the best entertainment we have seen on sea. If you like musicals, you will be well-pleased.

Archived