Empress of The Seas Review 7/10

Me, my husband, daughter and her friend just go back from Bermuda. We sailed on 7/10. This was our first cruise. It was great. The ship is beautiful. The staff is very nice and helpful. The rooms are small but you are not in them a lot anyway. The elevators are extremely slow and one set was not working when we were there so it was bad. It was take forever and then when it opened it was packed so you had to wait again. We would just take the stairs alot. There were way too many small kids on our ship. I don't mind kids but we had a lot of them and they could get annoying trying to do adult activities. The soda cards are definately worth it. I recommend them highly. The food is great. Portfinos is the best you should try it one nice. Top of the line food, service and atmosphere. The Ben and Jerry's ice bar with the coffee bar was nice but it is an extra charge each time. Was disappointed it that. The entertainment was great! The bartenders are so nice. They do tricks and talk to you. They are the best! There are so many activities and things to do that you can't do them all. Bermuda is beautiful . I bought bus passes but never used them. I either walked or took a taxi. I found it easier. They say the bus schedule is easy to follow I didn't find that. Kings Wharf you can walk to the shopping and snorkel par and craft area. In Hamilton make sure you go to Horseshou Bay. It is the BEST! Shopping is good in Hamilton also. Saint George is nice. If you want to go to Tobacco Bay make sure you get there early it gets real crowded and it is very small. The beach next to it St. Catherine's is nice. If you are looking to get hair braided there is a place right across them Tobacco Bay, it has a sign out front, it is a lady's house and three women do it and they are the best. They are friendly and they know what they are doing. For a full head it is $50 for half $25. My husband golfed in St. George and Kings Wharf and said the golfing is great, expensive but worth it. Overall our trip was Great. Coming home we had rough seas and a lot of passengers were sick including my daughter and her friend. But that is not anyone's fault. We definately will cruise again and it will be with Royal Carribean. If you have any questions, let me know.;)

Thanks for the review. A couple of questions ---

Did you walk to Snorkel Park and how was it? I have heard that they had slides in the water. Is this true?

What did you like so much about Horseshoe Bay beach? How much did a cab cost to get there?

Did you do any of the ship's excursions?

I'm not sure how old your daughter is.... but if she is young enough - did she stay at Adventure Ocean at all?

How were the children annoying? (Serious question... my boys are pretty well-behaved, don't want them picking up any bad ideas)

Thanks for any input you may have. We are on the Empress on 8/21. My sons are 7 and 11. We have booked Hartley's Helmet Dive and the Dolphin encounter. We'd love to hear some feedback about the ship and these trips.

Have a great summer, Laurie :)

The Snorkel park in Kings Wharf is walkable. It only takes maybe 10 min. and it is a beautiful walk. When people say there is a waterslide I guess it depends on what you are thinking of. What it is, is out in the water there is a platform and it has a slide on it and you climb on the platform and go down the slide into the water. The slide has a little twist but is not real high or long. It is cool though. The snorkeling is good if you go to the left side by the white flag. I would wear like water shoes cause for some reason there are a lot of rocks or shells that are pretty sharp. My daughter cut her foot on something out there. But it is very nice there. They also have umbrellas and paddel boats you can rent. Down the street from the snorkel park is a glass blowing factory and a rum cake factory with gift shops very nice.

Horseshoe Bay is just beautiful! They have chairs you can rent and a gift shop but the water is gorgeous and the whole beach is. The sand is pink. It is very nice. From Hamilton it cost us $14 for a taxi each way.

We didn't do any ship excursions.

My daughter is 16 and she didn't do any of the activities. Her and her friend just found things to do themselves. The little kids on the ship were well behaved. The Adventures of the Seas program always had kids in it and they did a lot with them. I saw the daily program for them.

You will have a great time. The ship is great and Bermuda is wonderful!

Hope you have a good vacation, let me know if you have anymore questions.

Jane:)

Hi Jane ---

Thanks so much for the information. Especially about Snorkel Park and the conditions there. I'm sure my kids will really enjoy the slide there. What you have described is what I was hoping for.

I just can't wait to go... but it's at the end of summer and if I keep obsessing about it - the summer will have passed before my eyes!

Have a great summer!

Thanks, Laurie

Archived