QM2's Accident on 17 Jan 2006--Why?

berry22192

It has now been 11 months since the QM2 struck a sea wall in the ship channel leaving Fort Lauderdale. Presumably the US Coast Guard and the insurers have investigated and reached some conclusions. Was it pilot error, for instance, that caused the accident? Would anyone know of an official accident investigation report? Strange how there has been no known release or information, or even discussion on this board.

Chris

Greetings All,

I just returned from the Southampton - Ft Lauderdale Nov 18 crossing of the QM2. I was talking to a crew member who was on duty in the Commodore Club when it happened. There was a very sudden and strong crosswind, and he saw and felt the ship veer and hit a sandbar with a very loud bang followed by vibrations and then she came to a halt. According to him there is a battle going on as to who was in charge at the time Commodore Warwick or the pilot.

I even did a pretty extensive search of Lloyd's of London (on the assumption they are insured by Lloyd's) and MAIB The Marine Accident Investigation Bureau (Biritish version of NTSB- marine) and also searched NTSB Marine Reports. Still think it ironic that the January 06 Safety report was introduced by none other than the Commodore himself.

I wonder if one can assume that this was simply one of those unavoidable incidents due to an unexpected crosswind. We've always joked in Pilot circles tht the NTSB always has to find a way to blame the pilot- Even if he got hit by a meteor or shot down by a missile, as, after all, it can't be that sometimes things could happen that we canot control! So it must be some guilty culprit's fault. If we get rid of the errant person, (or re-train them) voila Aviation (or marine tansportation) is safe once more!

Karie,

whose name is on one NTSB report!

I even did a pretty extensive search of Lloyd's of London (on the assumption they are insured by Lloyd's) and MAIB The Marine Accident Investigation Bureau (Biritish version of NTSB- marine) and also searched NTSB Marine Reports.

QM2 is insured by the UK P&I Club.

Even if the insurer did an investigation, it would not be publically available.

As for the MAIB and NTSB... I don't think this is a serious enough accident for them to mount a full investigation and indeed, the MAIB site does not list it as an accident that is under investigation.

I had a similar conversation with a "well placed" crew member "source" last June who said the pilot had control of the ship when the accident took place. He implied the pilot would have taken responsibility, but the pilot's insurance would not have covered such extensive damage. So Cunard turned to their own insurance which, unfortunately, required them to relieve the officer "responsible", Commodore Warwick.

I was pleased to see that Commodore Warwick was at a recent Cunard "event". It seems he is still involved, as Cunard said he would be. Had he truly been responsible, I doubt they would have continued his involvement with the company.

That said, I do now KNOW what happened. I only know what I have heard from a few sources.

Greetings All,

I just returned from the Southampton - Ft Lauderdale Nov 18 crossing of the QM2. I was talking to a crew member who was on duty in the Commodore Club when it happened. There was a very sudden and strong crosswind, and he saw and felt the ship veer and hit a sandbar with a very loud bang followed by vibrations and then she came to a halt. According to him there is a battle going on as to who was in charge at the time Commodore Warwick or the pilot.

I also beleive there were tugs in attendance at the time because of the windy conditions, although the lines were slack.

Archived