Which ruins for families? We're glad we went to Chichen ITza

Brianinidaho

This is part of my ship review which I thought might benefit folks, especially families, considering how to spend their day in Progresso.

PROGRESSO. Chichen Itza is absolutely mindblowing. I have been to ruins in Israel, Belize, England, Tulum Mexico, etc.. and was taken back here. A must see. Carnival wanted $79 a person, for 8 that added up to a couple of payments on a hummer! Since the pier is sooo long I figured there would not be any non-ship vendors and I would have to take my group into town to find a cheaper tour. Not so. As you leave the ship, there are several buildings with shops. One is a rent a car. A van was $175 for the day. As we got closer to the exit there was a tour operator stand that had signs for different tours. For up to 12 people a ride to and from was just $190, then entrance and food on your own. We took it! Admission was $8 per person, kids free. Tour guides were available for hire for like $20.

I would strongly recommend DO NOT TRY TO drive this far by yourself in a rental car. I’ve rented cars in Mexico and other countries, but would never try to drive this far in a rental. I noticed the signs were confusing to get there (I guess you could just follow the tour busses and hope you do not get separated).

Going there I thought we would last 1-2 hours after the long ride but we could have spent several days. It is that good. On a limited schedule, I would first study the display outside the main gate (after you buy your ticket) that shows the layout of the ruins. I would then (1) go to the main temple and take pictures, etc., (2) then go to the observatory (as you come in, it is toward the right as you look at the temple after you come into the main area… note: just look for the long row of vendors.. they curve to the right and go down toward the observatory) and then (3) go back by the main temple and head towards the left to the ball court. These are the 3 main highlights, at least as we figured. These three should take all the time you have.

It was about 2 to 2 1/2 hours each way.. and that is not missing any of the correct turns! Hence my recommendation NOT to rent a car to go this far.

But at the dock there are vendors tons cheaper than the ship. We could have probably saved more going into town, but felt we were getting a good price for the hassle saved.

Archived