Grenville Channel

Gitane

Do any of the lines travel through the Grenville Channel anymore? We went through on the Legend of the Seas in 2002, and not on the Serenade in 2005. It is such a beautiful route with so much to see. Would like to know if any of the ships do still take it, or why they have stopped.

I suppose that the larger ships that are now the norm to AK may be the reason. That is a true loss if nobody is able to see and enjoy a day of sailing between the mountains on both sides!

I don't think that any of the large ships use Grenville anymore, and I haven't even seen any small-ship itineraries going that way. However, the Vancouver Sun says I'm wrong - http://dofundodomar.blogspot.com/2006/05/wreck-filled-with-oil-and-bombs.html You're right, it's an amazing route - the true Inside Passage! I suppose it's a combination of ship size and "necessary" speed (to fit as many ports in as possible - quantity over quality) nowadays that eliminated Grenville.

Murray

Interesting article, Yukon!! Wonder which ships are still using the channel. Maybe the smaller, custom (?) lines. It is really a great way to go, as you say, the true Inside Passage.

On our trip through on the Legend, we saw deer swimming from one side to the other!! Don't know if the ship took any out, but there were at least 4 off the starboard quarter of the ship when I spotted them. Not a sight normally expected in the "ocean".

Archived