Grandeur Renovation?

UDcc123

I'm thinking of taking a cruise on the Grandeur of the Seas the week of April 28th. Inside cabins are just $400! My question is that I read somewhere that this ship is scheduled to be renovated in April 2007, and that's confirmed by the fact that there's no sailings for this ship from April 14th-April 27th.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/advice about this?

1) Will a 2-week renovation really make that big of a deal? We've sailed Adventure of the Seas & the Carnival Valor before (both larger/newer ships) and loved them & I'm worried that the Grandeur may be more run down, but you can't beat the price!

2) Also, any chance the April 28th cruise might get cancelled if renovations take longer than expected?

3) Lastly, if anyone can verify that the renovations actually are going to take place, it'd be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi, We just return from the Grandeur's 12/02/06 tour, and according to the crew members we spoke with, and the Captain, yes, she well be in for renovations in April 06. What we were told was the only major work scheduled to be done was a total re-do of the Windjamer buffet area.

The ship is a very nice smaller ship, and we would take her again, as is, is a hear beat.

K

ps - They are scheduled to fix the dent in her hull at that time too.

My husband and I are sailing on the Grandeur in just 2 weeks. This is our 3rd time on this ship and I'm anxious to make comparisons. We first sailed on her when she was just a newborn... her 4th voyage in Jan. 97. Then again on Dec. 99. I'll write when I get back and let you know how she looks now. We've sailed other ships since then, and always long to go back to the Grandeur. I laugh when I see others refer to her as a "small ship". She was the biggest thing out there when she was new. I wonder what we'll say in a few years about the Freedom!!!

If the timing is right and the price too hard to beat, then book it and have a great time.

My husband and I are sailing on the Grandeur in just 2 weeks. This is our 3rd time on this ship and I'm anxious to make comparisons. We first sailed on her when she was just a newborn... her 4th voyage in Jan. 97. Then again on Dec. 99. I'll write when I get back and let you know how she looks now. We've sailed other ships since then, and always long to go back to the Grandeur. I laugh when I see others refer to her as a "small ship". She was the biggest thing out there when she was new. I wonder what we'll say in a few years about the Freedom!!!

If the timing is right and the price too hard to beat, then book it and have a great time.

We just got off the Grandeur 12-09-16-06 and you can tell by my post we love her too. This was our fifth cruise on her and it was fantastic, the crew is one of the friendliest in the fleet. The ship is in great shape for being 10 yrs. old and they work very hard at keeping it in top notch condition. I do not think you will be sorry for cruising on her. Here are some pictures I took in 2005, have not got my recent cruise pict. developed yet. Ozzie63:D :D :D

391137231_Barbecuepooldeck.jpg.a3527112a70000142e6ae9d0ffa8dbd8.jpg

120254636_GrandeurCentrum12-05.jpg.7aea6c08db5b17835a131ed06c01ac40.jpg

1721427438_GrandeurDining12-05.jpg.738f9130cd6b2b2c6c6f88d2a6264cc1.jpg

Dent in the starboard bow, and the starboard rudder are scheduled to be fixed, along with the aforementioned renovation of the Windjammer and some minor work to other public areas. Drydock time is very expensive, if anything, she will be out early, vs. late. A lot of people put a lot of emphasis on drydock time on this board, most of the things that passengers see doesn't need drydock time to accomplish, the vast majority of the work on public spaces is done waterborne. Drydock is primarily for hull clean, inspection and painting.

Thank you all for your comments (& pictures!). We're looking to go on one last big vacation before we start having children. We originally thought a cruise would be too expensive, but then I saw inside rooms for just $400 & flights for just $250 and we might actually be able to make it work!

I was glad to see the discussions on renovations for the Granduer. We sailed on her last June and loved the ship. Our cabin was very shabby however and that was a bit disappointing. The beds were very uncomfortable and I was so glad to hear that they will be replaced. The rest of the ship seemed to be in great condition and I have to agree that the staff were all wonderful. I would sail on this ship again especially leaving Baltimore since I am only about 45 minutes away from the port. I was at home in my driveway within an hour (carried our luggage off ourselves) of disembarkment.

Hello, I am a Travel agent

I just cruised her on 12/9/2006 and the answer to your questions are yes. According to our district sales manager. Windjammer will be redone and the new bedding to schedule to be installed by the end of April. The bad news is after April 07 RCL made the decision to pull out of New Orleans. But there is the possibilty of coming back in 08. The last cruise in April is suppose to be a nice one with a export.

Happy seas

When I was on the Enchantment earlier this month....one of the staff members mentioned that the Grandeur was going to be stretched as well possibly sometime next year.......just a bit of FYI.....

According to Captain Admarker, the stretch is on hold at best. It was scheduled for April '08, but there are folks in the front office that think the money would be better spent on new construction vs. an older hull. They still have the plans from Enchantment, her sister ship, but the stretch has not been funded or contracted, it may happen, but he didn't think it was likely.

Archived