RCCL's Rock Climbing Walls

I see that my favorite RCCL ship Empress of the Seas (nee Nordic Empress) is back and has been "refurbished" with one of those dratted "rock climbing walls". I was astounded when I saw the one they tacked onto the Sovereign of the Seas in April and found it downright ugly - it looks like a great slab of gray Scrapple tied to the Viking Crown Lounge and really ruins the lines of the ship. Does anyone know how they did this bit of very uncosmetic surgery to the Empress of the Seas? Of course I still wonder why they have to have one of those things in the first place...usually I've been climbing the walls for weeks prior to the cruise and certainly don't need another one to scale!

I also enjoyed going up the Rock climbing wall on the Voyager.

My daughter I both climed it and can't wait to do it again next week on teh Mariner.

I am sorry that you don't like the looks of the wall but apparently passengers liked enough that RCI spend a lot of money adding to all their ships.

They placed the wall on Empress aft of the Viking Crown Lounge (pool deck). The VCL itself is now just the lower level, the upper level has been converted into the gym with all the excercise equipment. Anyone using the equipment needs to hope there aren't a lot of smokers in the lounge.

The rock walls are fun and I have done them on Explorer and Mariner. Unfortunately, asthetically there is a big difference between something that was designed into the ship and something that was retro-fitted. The walls look fine on the Voyager and Radiance class ships but from pictures that I have seen of the add- ons to the other classes of ships they do look like monstrosities.

I know my 9 year old son is going to want to climb the wall over and over again. Is there usually a line? Do they only open it up at specific times? Is there an additional charge?

Thanks for the answers,

Jacquie

Yes, they only open it at specific times. The people who work the wall also work other areas of the ship. And yes, there is a line. Usually they open for paperwork 15 minutes prior to climbing. You can bet the line starts before that 15 minutes though.

Thanks for the photo...it seems to be wrapped around the windows of the VCL. Though I still don't like it I do like the white side panels they seem to have installed, sort of softens the blow to the design of the ship.

Archived