Dinner Reservations Needed?

skycat

We're celebrating my parents' 38th Wedding Anniversary and their 60th Birthdays in June with an Alaskan cruise on Pearl for them and their 3 daughters and husbands (+ one child). This is our 1st time cruising on NCL with their "Freestyle Cruising". I know there are no set seating times, but should our party of 9 still make reservations for dinners? Does it depend on the restaurant? If we don't make reservations, might we end up waiting for a table?

Thanks for the advice!

If you choose to dine the specialty restaurants, you must make reservations. Make sure to make reservations early in the week for the specialty restaurants.

The main restaurants only take reservations for large parties and your party of 9 would qualify! (I have been in parties of 18 and 12 in our last two cruises).

The main restaurants will only accept group reservations for the times of 5:30, 5:45, 6:00 or 8:30 or later. They will not take group reservations for the prime times of 6:30-8:30. If you choose to dine then, you will have to wait in line and with a party of that size, the wait could be long.

There are also very limited large tables in the dining rooms, most tables only seat up to 6 or 8. Another reason to make those reservations.

Gosh, I'm so glad I asked! Can these reservations be made before the cruise or just after boarding? Also, on the nights that we are at port late (e.g., 10pm in Juneau), do most people eat later too? thanks!!

Make your reservations as soon as you can after boarding the ship.

I would guess many will dine ashore when staying in port that late.

The main restaurants do not always take reservations more than a day or two in advance, but I would go talk to the maitre'd right after you board and see what their policy is. (make sure you mention that you are a large group or they will tell you they don't take reservations.) I have found the large group reservation policy in the main dining rooms has varied between ships.

The main restaurants do not always take reservations more than a day or two in advance, but I would go talk to the maitre'd right after you board and see what their policy is. (make sure you mention that you are a large group or they will tell you they don't take reservations.) I have found the large group reservation policy in the main dining rooms has varied between ships.

I've discovered they vary between restaurants aboard a ship. The number of large tables, and how many they sit, does vary by restaurant. So, if one of the main restaurants answers with a no, try the other. It never hurts to ask.

Archived