World Cruise 2008 - 3 cruiselines comparison

WorldCruise_HereWeCome

Which cruiseline would be the best for our world cruise?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruiseline would be the best for our world cruise?

• Crystal Serenity - ''B'' stateroom
    • Cunard QV - Princess Suite
    • Regent Seven Seas Voyager - ''H'' Suite

First, let me say that my first posts (polls) were all deleted from Cruise Critic. I think it may be due to the fact that I posted it to many, many boards. Therefore, I will describe what I know from the 3 cruiselines we are interested in and if I'm wrong or if you have an answer to my questions, we would be glad to hear your opinion. I create the poll but I'm as much interested by the details you may had than just your pick.

About us: We both are in our thirties, we dress with good quality clothing but we don't dress up often in gowns or tux but are willing to do so on our cruise but we would also like to have some casual or informal options for nights when we just want a meal and then watch a movie or hang out by the pool (in other words, we understand that most of the ship will dress up and we won't go in the main lounges or shows but we may walk through the ship to get to the pool, promenade, sports bar).

Here are the 3 options we are looking at, all are ok for our budget, and all have a balcony:

Crystal Serenity - ''B'' Stateroom with Verandah (108 days - 57 970$)

1080 guests

269 sq. ft, including verandah (50 sq. ft ???)

Regular closet, not a walk-in (- ... will we have enough room for such a long cruise? Is there anywhere we could fit an extra foldable closet?)

Alcohol not included but softdrinks are included

Great choice of activities (+)

Dinning options:

2 seatings (- ... we don't think we would like this rigid form for a long cruise)

In-stateroom dinning, ordering from the main dinning room menu (+)

Casual pool side dinning, no reservation required (+ ... someone knows what the menu looks like: snack bar, bistro or gourmet cuisine?)

2 free speciality restaurants (+ ... is informal wear OK every night or is formal wear is expected here on formal nights?)

Sushi Bar (+ ... is informal wear OK every night or is formal wear is expected here on formal nights?)

Cunard Queen Victoria - Princess Suite with balcony - 54 704$

2000 + guests (-)

335 sq. ft, including balcony (+)

Closet, on QM2, do the Princess suites have walk-in closet, enough storage for World Cruise?

Most beverage not included (-)

Dinning options:

Single-seating Princess Grill (+)

1 speciality restaurant only, with a fee (-)

Lido (at night, I hope it is not a buffet, do they require formal attire on formal evenings)

Pub Lion: Do they serve dinner or just lunch?

Grills Terrace, do they offer dinner in casual or informal atmosphere?

In-Suite dinning (+)

Regent Seven Seas Voyager - ''H'' Suite with balcony (117 days-58 000$)

(the price is based on per-day price of 2007 World Cruise)

700 guests

356 sq ft (306 + balcony)

Shipboard gratuities included (+)

Complimentary liquor package

Walk-in Closet (+ ... from the room plan, it seems to me the closet could handle an additional small foldable closet, am I right?)

Wine included at dinner

Activities seem less diversified than other two ships (- ... am I right?)

Open seating main dinning room (+)

3 open-seating speciality restaurants (+)

Although I have never been on a Crystal ship, I believe they are more formal than the other two lines. I love Cunard (both the Mary and the QE2), but vote for Regent which I wish I could do the World Cruise on. The ships are smaller and thus can dock in more ports. The all inclusive prices really are all inclusive, so less sticker shock when the final bill appears. The cabins are very spacious and the closet is walk in and plenty large enough for a World Cruise. They have excellent self laundry facilities with European machines that do not shrink your clothes, so laundry is not a problem. Room Service is wonderful and very comfortable in your cabin with a proper table and chairs to dine from.

Take me with you!:)

B.

Thank you for your reply Betsy's Mom!

Have you cruised on QM2 in a Princess Suite?

I wish we could bring many CC friends with us but we are not that rich :D

We know we are very, very lucky to have the possibility to take such a cruise at a ''young'' age but we also worked a lot toward it, especially to be able to take 4-months off work without the business going down, we work very, very hard to make it happen and have good people taking over us for such a long period. Yes, they will contact us by e-mail if needs be but they are getting better every day and I'm sure they can handle the work without too much supervision from us in 2008.

HI! the rate you indicated for QV at $54,704 is the full brochure rate. Is there no discounts at all? have you tried using an agency that does plenty of business with Cunard?

Bob.

Hello Bob,

We have not contacted our travel agent yet but Cunard website does list discounts and they can't be applied toward Grill accomodations unfortunately. We don't want to settle for less than Princess Grill because we would definitely prefer open seating dinning room, especially on such a big ship with limited alternative dinning options.

Hello again, you mentioned a Princess suite of 335sq' incl balcony. I didn't think they went that small in that category. You may wish to consider this advise :

If you take a P2 forward 5001 or 5002 they are larger inside ( 323' ) due to their location, plus a balcony of 54' for a combined cabin total of 377'. If not available I would drop down one ( not up ) to a P3 on the same deck - deck 5. They have the same similar cabin size as most of the other Princess Grill suites ( approx 292' or so ) but the balcony is 25% larger at 75' vs the fairly standard 50' of even the P1's. I would also avoid any P1 on deck 8 as they are right underneath the Lido and the Wintergarden with all that foot traffic and the scraping and dragging of chairs above.

None of the above square footage includes any handicapped suites.

Just my humble opinion.

Hello Bob,

We have not contacted our travel agent yet but Cunard website does list discounts and they can't be applied toward Grill accomodations unfortunately. We don't want to settle for less than Princess Grill because we would definitely prefer open seating dinning room, especially on such a big ship with limited alternative dinning options.

When I received my group contracts for the QV world, my Grill rates are cheaper than FIT.. which is the rate Cunard would sell the categories.

Right now, there is one Queens grill category open in FIT. Then nothing available until you hit A1 balconies.

Now, if it is a more casual ambience you are seeking, may I suggest the Royal Princess world cruise. There might still be some suites left, but the ship is pretty full.

BTW when you book a full world gratuties are included... and normally onboard credit as well.

No QE2?

Surely you are missing a golden opportunity to sail on the greatest ship afloat.

Queen Victoria will be in service for less than a month before starting the world cruise. Is that wise?

Matthew

Matthew: perhaps the reason may be because QE2 is not doing a full world cruise in 2008. She is doing a circle Pacific/Sth American itin and is letting QV do a full world cruise.

Bob

Archived