Seattle in October?

DH and I are considering a 3 or 4 day cruise on Celebrity in October out of Seattle. We've never been to that part of the country (being generally warm-weather, sun-seeking individuals), but thought it might be fun to do something different.

What is that area like that time of year? Is it really cold? Or is it a pretty time of year there like it is in the northeast in the fall?

weather in oct can be tricky - it depends on if the sun it out or not. Generally plan on about 50 degrees and if it's windy then it will definately feel chilly. The best plan is to wear layers like the rest of us and while umbrellas arent much help if it's windy, a waterproof or rain resistant jacket is always helpful. That said, you wont need winter clothes just be prepared for cool temps. If it's a beautiful sunny day then you might feel quite warm and be ok in pants and a tshirt but more than likely you'll need pants (altho I;ve been known to still wear shorts if it's sunny) and a tshirt along with a light jacket. If you're cold natured then long sleeves and a jacket.

Ditto what fozzy said. Sometimes we get lucky and October is still dry and not too cool, like the northeast, but sometimes it's rainy in October. The later into October you go, the more likely it'll be rainy. But when it rains here, it's not like it rains in, say, the midwest, where you step outside and you're drenched. It's rarely more than just a gentle rain, and it usually doesn't last all day, it's more of an off-and-on type thing. Bring a rain jacket and you'll probably be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I grew up in the Seattle area and our favorite saying was "if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes..." LOL

October can be really nice, but can also be rainy/drizzly and cold. One year, we had snow on Halloween..:eek: The rain is usually more a drizzle and it can soak in if you don't have a waterproof jacket. Once the sun goes down, the temp will too. Rarely, did I ever go out after dark without a coat/sweater, no matter what time of year it was.

But, if you hit it on a nice day, the sky will bedazzle you and the colors surrounding you are great! Just greenery! Be prepared with layers of clothing, rainwear and have a great time! Don't forget to visit Pike Place Market....

Okay, so basically the weather may not be very nice. I can take that, I just won't schedule any beach excursions:rolleyes: !

Seriously, what are some of the things on those stops that are "can't miss" items? I've never been to that area of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Let us know which places you are goin' to exactly. There is lots of info on these forums about Victoria and Vancouver so you can just look around a bit for now.... if you pick the cruise that goes to Naniamo....hmmmm...been there and done that. Nice harbour and you can go to some caves and there's a trip to a very Nice Grove of big trees.....

Small city on Vancouver Island easy walk to downtown from the pier.

• 4 months later...

We are from South Fl and are taking a 4 day out of Seattle on the Mercury on OCt 1. We are looking forward to anything but hot, humid weather!

We were going to do our usual weekend Carb cruise, but decided to spend a little more and do something a little different.

We will take jeans and rain coats and enjoy every minute of whatever weather we get! We are looking forward to spending some time in the NW.

We are from South Fl and are taking a 4 day out of Seattle on the Mercury on OCt 1. We are looking forward to anything but hot, humid weather!

We were going to do our usual weekend Carb cruise, but decided to spend a little more and do something a little different.

We will take jeans and rain coats and enjoy every minute of whatever weather we get! We are looking forward to spending some time in the NW.

You will have exactly what you ordered.....and if it's sunny..it still won't be hot lol.

We'll be on the 10/15/07 4 night on the Mercury. We live in Northern Idaho and October weather is always variable...but it's a CRUISE! We booked a balcony and we'll use it no mater what.

Just make sure you pack some layers (since it's a short cruise, you can pack more options and not be overloaded with clothes.) make sure you have some type of rain coat and umbrella...just in case.

The Bushard Gardens in Victoria are a "must see". I have friends sailing with us on this cruise that are from that area, so if you decided to join us, let me know and I'll get all the answers I can for you. There is also a Roll Call thread started for this cruise you might want to join to get more specifics. Hope we'll see you on the cruise!

Agree with the OP's - but October can be a very nice month. Cool in the am and warm in the pm.

True Seattleites rarely carry umbrella's. If raining - likely windy and can't manuever umbrella well with coffee in one hand and cell phone in the other <g>

Must do locally is Pike Place Market, (if clear day, go to prox center of market to the skybridge between market and market parking garage - great view of Mt Rainier behind Quest and Safeco Fields as well as Puget Sound)

Other close in things, new SAM (sea art museum), Aquarium addition soon to open, sculpture park, pioneer square, Seattle Center (exp music project, sci center, etc)

Archived