shrimp

sea-u-later

Looking for a decent place to get my fill of shrimp before we set sail. Does anyone know of a place somewhere between the airport and the cruise dock? Not looking for a Bubba Gumps or a Red Lobster but more of a local joint. Thanks again.

We're locals, and I'd recommend Drago's in Fat City. Sort of between MSY and downtown.They have some of the freshest seafood in the city and are priced to the locals' market, not the tourist business. The char-broiled oysters are outstanding. I would ask the cab to come back for you(they probably will) as finding one could be a problem.

Looking for a decent place to get my fill of shrimp before we set sail. Does anyone know of a place somewhere between the airport and the cruise dock? Not looking for a Bubba Gumps or a Red Lobster but more of a local joint. Thanks again.

Depends on what route you take. Most direct way is completely interstate. There is a place on Veteran's and Williams that usually has good seafood. It's called Jazz.

If you want to travel a couple miles up Williams to 32nd Street you'll find Harbor Seafood. They sell fresh shrimp, but also have a restaurant. Not fancy, but GOOD food.

When will you be here? Mardi Gras is coming so parades could make getting around town a little bit of a problem.

Dragos is the BEST. The oysters mentioned above are the best. I grew up in New Oreans and had not eaten there much before the storm. This man fed like 70,000 red cross workers days after the storm. He was open for hot meals for those here trying to assist our city. Since that story, this is our only seafood place to eat and the food is great. If you have a wait, it is well worth it. Let me know if you have any other questions about our city.

Cathy

What do you locals feel about Mother's restraraunt? I'm from Baton Rouge but spent a couple of nights in New Orleans a couple of years ago. Was at Harrah's and looking for a place within walking distance to eat - a Harrah's employee recommended Mothers. Wonderful, down-home cooking!!! Maybe 10 people in the place, looked like a hole in the wall. Shemar Moore (from Young & the Restless) came to eat there while we were eating : ) From what we were told, he's a regular at Mother's when he's in town. I have a pic of me and DH with him, but I don't know how to put pics on here : ( Oh, and Mother's is within walking distance from the ship.

We're locals, and I'd recommend Drago's in Fat City. Sort of between MSY and downtown.They have some of the freshest seafood in the city and are priced to the locals' market, not the tourist business. The char-broiled oysters are outstanding. I would ask the cab to come back for you(they probably will) as finding one could be a problem.

I must have had a TIA to forget Drago's - yep, I'd add my recommendation to the others here. The broiled oysters are to die for and their seafood is almost as good.

There are many good restaurnts that serve shrimp and seafood in general. A New Orleans restaurant that serves bad seafood will not stay in business in this town.

First what cruise terminal or cruise line are you using as New Orleans now has multiple terminals. The neighborhood and respective safety issues around each terminal is vastly different.

Problem since Katrina is cab service. It is sometimes hard to get from one local area to another. You may wish to take a cab from the airport to the port. Check in your luggage and than visit a downtown restaurant in walking distance to the cruise terminal such as Mothers.

Warning. I am assuming you are going into the old cruise terminal downtown by the River Walk and not the new terminal down around Poland Ave. If you are going into the Poland Ave area terminal do not walk around the streets outside of that terminal.

Archived