Help in Hobart

RET_REF

What is the best way to get to Brooke St. Pier from where the cruise ship docks? I understand the city graciously offers a complimentary shuttle to the downtown area. We are suppose to disembark the ship around 8 AM, and need to be at the tour's pick-up point - Brooke St. Pier by 9 AM. Is it doable, or should we get a taxi? Your comments/suggestions will be appreciated!

Greetings Reforee

The Brooke St Pier is on the other side of Sullivans Cove to where the Sapphire docks. However it is an easy walk and from my experience should take no more than 10-15 minutes . (We did this cruise in Jan 2005.) You will find the Tasmanians a friendly lot and you should have few problems.

I recommend you go to www.blackstump.com.au click the black box called Maps and then select Hobart.

You can then click the slider to zoom in on Hobart City and in particular Sullivans Cove. On the Western Side (top of map) you will see Hunter Street which is where the Sapphire will be. If you follow Franklin Wharf around past Constitution Docks you come to Brooke St. (You will need to Zoom in to at least 2nd last notch to actually see Brooke St shown)

On this site you can click between a street map and a Satellite picture (viz Google Earth grabs) or to even superimpose the map on the satellite picture. Great stuff ...unfortunately only Oz cities and a few from other countries at the moment.

cheers

Hello Flipper,

Thanks for the reference map!

However, I still can't seem to locate Brooke St. Pier on the map. I happened to find Salamanca Place, about how far would from there would it be? I understand that Salamanca Place is only a short walk from where the Sapphire will berth. I'll keep searching the map in the interim to see if I can locate Brooke St. Pier in particular locating The Gray Line Bus office.

Flipper,

I had to to slide the zoom slider to its max before being able to locate Brooke St.

I noticed that it is very close to Salamanca Place and as you said it appears only to be a 10 to 15 minute walk from where the Sapphire will berth.

Thanks so much for the map and your guidance!

Archived