Norwegian Jewel v. Caribbean Princess

steveo2916

Well, am now planning my Spring Break 2008 (yes, this far in advance!) cruise and have a choice of two voyages:

1. Caribbean Princess for 7 nights in a VS aft

-or-

2. Norwegian Jewel for 9 nights in an A3 Courtyard Villa.

Difference, pro-rated for the extra two nights, is $750 more for the A3.

Now, the Norwegian has better ports because we haven't been to St Lucia. It seems that the suite amenities (at least for now) are better on the Princess, but I love the idea of the privatee courtyard and private sun deck. Any opinions from you experienced cruisers? Thanks!

Steve

Steve,

Having sailed with suites on both Princess and NCL, I would rate the NCL suite much more highly. Many more "perks" IMHO.

On Princess you get a bigger room, great balcony and a few special items. On NCL, you get an entirely different experience of cruising. Honestly, I could never sail NCL other than in a suite - they spoil you unbelievably. When we had to go thru immigration in Hawaii, for example, the concierge took the suite passengers through first - everyone else waited in line. And with that number of folks on the ship, believe me it was some line. Depending upon your suite, you may be able to take advantage of the reserved seating area in the showroom.

The best description I can give you is that on Princess there is one class of traveler and everyone pretty much gets the same service. On NCL, buying a suite puts you into the first class section and the experience is awesome.

Happy cruising whatever decision you make.

• 2 weeks later...
Steve,

Having sailed with suites on both Princess and NCL, I would rate the NCL suite much more highly. Many more "perks" IMHO.

On Princess you get a bigger room, great balcony and a few special items. On NCL, you get an entirely different experience of cruising. Honestly, I could never sail NCL other than in a suite - they spoil you unbelievably. When we had to go thru immigration in Hawaii, for example, the concierge took the suite passengers through first - everyone else waited in line. And with that number of folks on the ship, believe me it was some line. Depending upon your suite, you may be able to take advantage of the reserved seating area in the showroom.

The best description I can give you is that on Princess there is one class of traveler and everyone pretty much gets the same service. On NCL, buying a suite puts you into the first class section and the experience is awesome.

Happy cruising whatever decision you make.

Does this apply to mini suites as well?

Does this apply to mini suites as well?

Unfortunately, no. You have to be in an AE cabin or higher (penthouse or higher) to receive these perks. There are too many mini-suites to offer this.

Just to note that the perks offered on the smaller ships (Dream etc) will differ.

Steve-

I have not experienced a suite......but have cruised with Princess often.

We cruised the NCL Jewel this past Christmas of 2006. The Jewel was great. We thought the food and service was superior to our last couple of cruises with Princess.

If choose the Jewel, don't miss dining in alternative restaurants, Cagney's Steak House (excellent cold water lobster tail, excellent filet, excellent creme brulee) and the mexican restaurant (excellent steak/chicken for two meal and excellent mexican egg rolls.....also don't miss appetizers in the bar(changes daily).....especially fried cod and eggplant).

Also tenders on the Jewel are very comfortable and well run.

St. Lucia is a beautiful island (one of our very favorites). Be sure to do Catamaran around the island so you will get to see the Pitons, like Hawaii in the Carribean!

Archived