Using a TA vs a Cruise Line

Lighthouse John

Last summer we booked a mini suite on the 11/6/06, 5 day, Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Star Princess, using a local TA that we had used for our 2 previous cruises. About the same time a co-worker also booked a mini on the same cruise but directly with Princess. On Thursday, November 2 we got a call from the TA who reported that they had received a call from Princess saying that cruise was overbooked and that if we would give up our mini and go on a later cruise we would, for no additional money, be upgraded to a full suite, on a 7 day cruise, and each be given a $250. onboard credit. We discussed the option, checked our schedules and about 2 hours later called the TA and said we'd accept the offer. Several hours later, much to our disappointment, the TA called to say that the offer had been withdrawn by Princess. The following day I discussed the offer with my co-worker and found out that he had been called by Princess a full 24 hours before our TA called us, quickly decided to accept the offer, and last month had a wonderful 7 day cruise on the Caribbean Princess with the promised upgrades.

I'd be interested if anyone else has ever encountered a situation where a cruise line overbooked and therefore offered passengers upgrades on future cruises. Also, I assume our TA contacted us as soon as Princess informed them of the offer, and if so, it certainly appears that we would have been in a much more favorable position, had be booked directly with the cruise line as opposed to the TA.

This happens more often then you can imagine. The trick is, the first ones that except the offer, get it. They have so many cabins they need to make available and when they reach their goal, they withdraw the offer.

Having to think about it, even for a few hours, can make or break this deal.

Since I wasn't there, I have no idea when your travel agent was contacted, but I honestly don't think this had anything to do with if you booked through Princess or a TA. Timing, that is what the difference is.

We were booked on the Star Princess for the over Thanksgiving 06 cruise. We booked through an online TA. Three days before we were due to leave, we were contacted directly by Princess because the cruise was over booked. They asked if we would change to another date and in return we would be upgraded from a mini suite to a penthouse suite and receive a 50% refund. We discussed dates when we were free and Richard the Princess rep. changed us to 3/31/07 in C424 a penthouse suite, and 50% of our original payment as an onboard credit any of which we can get back in cash if not used. As the Star Princess hit some pretty rough weather during that Thanksgiving week, we were quite pleased with our changed dates. That and the fact that I called our PVP at Carnival and got a very inexpensive last minute cruise over Thanksgiving!

After Richard called us directly, we received a call fromthe on line TA we booked through and he confirmed the changes. But Princess contacted us directly first.

We are now looking forward to our Star Princess cruise on 3/31/07. Hope the suite does not spoil us for the future!

Happy cruising.

On our Island Princess cruise last April we found from talking with people at our cruise critic party that several had been upgrades and others given sizable shipboard credit to move from mini to a balcony. This was our 4th cruise with Princess and we were not offered anything. We later found out that all of the offers had been made to people who booked directly with Princess and none to those who used a T/A. I don't know if there is anything to it but since I always call my T/A with the exact cabin and cruise I want we decided this time to book directly with Princess . Nothing has happened yet so there may be nothing to it but I figured it can't hurt to go direct and try.

Good Luck.

For our Crown cruise this September I shopped around and chose to book through an online TA, recommended through these boards. The price, with all taxes, charges and fees, was less than booking through Princess directly for an AA mini, plus the TA gave SBC. Too soon to tell if we get an upgrade or call to "bump" to a different category.

My MIL booked an oceanview for our Grand cruise in Feb 2006 and got an upgrade to their best oceanview category for no charge. This was because she booked a guarantee. We figured the "upgrade" was worth about $75...she was happy...and she booked through a TA.

I still can't figure the rhyme or reason....

Archived