Great Stirrup Cay

TC Cruiser

The forum search keeps timing out so I'll just post a new question about Great Stirrup Cay. Is the $29 fee for Private Island Snorkel really necessary for the private island if you want to hit the beach? I haven't been there before so I'm not quite sure what to expect or where to go.

The $ 29 is for the rental of snorkel equipment including vest. If you are not going to snorkel or have your own equipment there is no need to rent their equipment. We used our own. Great Stirrup Cay is a small Island owned by NCL . There is a very nice beach, great for swiming, very warm we were there Dec 31, very shallow. There are beach chairs provided by NCl, you must bring ashore a towel from the ship. NCL will also provide a very nice BBQ. Drinks of course can be purchased /charged to your on board account. There will be games and activities, live music. The stay on this Island is usually fairly short, therefore if you like the beach go early, pick up an early tender slip. The slip is for which tender to go ashore, ie tender slip # 1 is for the first tender # 2 the second and so on. You can take any tender back. This is usually a very nice beach day, however because it is a tender if the weather /seas are rough they will ( and have on many sailing) by pass this stop.

Enjoy the day.

If you bring your own snorkel equipment you will be all set. NCL will provide you with a life vest to use for snorkeling, it is required. We saw lots of lovely fish while we were there this summer. Of course I still haven't gotten the underwater camera photos developed yet.:rolleyes:

I don't know if it is normal policy, but when I rented the snorkeling gear last May, very late in the day, they only charged me half price. I am guessing they were just being nice, as they had to charge me for a "shirt" to my onboard account. They have a member of the excursion staff at meeting place to show the good spots. We actually went around the mini island in front of the beach. Lots of nice fish if you can dive.

Like everyone has said if you bring your own gear you will be fine and you will not need to rent from them. They will make you wear a vest. Bring some cereal with you and feed the fish while you snorkel. It is so cool my husband did that it December but of course I did not have the camera but someone else did and took a video. Wish I could get that video. :rolleyes: It is a very small beach and get there early if you want a lounge chair and an umbrella. If not they have tons of regular chairs. The beach gets very crowded but it is nice.

Intrepid- I'm with you...although we sailed by we also did not stop atr Stirrup Cay even though the sea conditions were listed as "slight" on the ships log! It was a gorgeous day too. I was very disappointed that we missed the port stop. I don't know why they even have it if it is such an unreliable stop. We couldn't stop at Nassau as they often do as an alternative because the port there was full. Oh well...maybe next time. Marilyn

Intrepid- I'm with you...although we sailed by we also did not stop atr Stirrup Cay even though the sea conditions were listed as "slight" on the ships log! It was a gorgeous day too. I was very disappointed that we missed the port stop. I don't know why they even have it if it is such an unreliable stop. We couldn't stop at Nassau as they often do as an alternative because the port there was full. Oh well...maybe next time. Marilyn

Yikes! :eek: We booked the Jewel instead of Carnival Valor because of the extra port. Valor is in St. Thomas until 8:00 p.m. and that was a compelling reason to cruise with Carnival. I'm going to be more than irritated with NCL if they skip this stop for reasons not due to rough seas. :(

Trust me, you didn't miss anything. Stirrup Cay is a zoo... crowded, and worse than Coney Island on Labor Day. That is the one venue I would love for NCL to skip. We stayed a total of an hour, and got so sick of the wall to wall people, that we took a tender back and spent the rest of the day on the ship.

I have been there twice (2003 & 2004) '04 was by far the nicest. There was hurricane damage in '03 that took out the rock sea wall. This opened the beach up real nice. 2-3 hours is about all we spend on the island. My wife and I return to the ship imediately after lunch to enjoy the 'empty' ship.

I never would have thought of bring cereal but I will this time. Do the fish like Fruit Loops?

I am extremely nearsighted so regular snorkle gear will not work well (putting it over glasses it will leak a bit - found that out in Bermuda) but I have prescription swimming goggles. When I went to GSC before I just used the goggles and floated face down in the water watching the fish.

Marilyn -- WOW! Only $16.49. That stinks!

Adkmom -- GSC has a beach hut that is stocked with the gear. The other ports will depend on what specific beach that you go to but it will not be NCL related unless you book a shore excursion. You might want to consider purchasing a vest from your local pool/scuba store or order one online.

Steve

Archived