Duty Free Policy??

DeBlonde1

Can someone explain to me how buying items duty free works? From what I can tell, each person can buy up to $800 worth of items and not have to pay duty, but after that you have to pay 3% or something? What happens if you forgot to claim something, do they just make you pay it if they find it or what? Are they actually looking for these things when you go through customs? I always thought they were searching for Cuban cigars, and/or other prohibited materials (too much booze, etc). What if you bought jewelry and wore it home? Just trying to make sure we have done this correct in the past and in the future.

You're confusing the terms "Duty Free" and "Custom's Duty". They are two very different things. Duty free only means things are being sold that are free from import taxes, therefore making the item less expensive than anywhere else. Custom's duty is basically the law that says you're only allowed to purchase a certain dollar amount of items in a foreign country without having to pay Custom's fees/taxes. In the US, that number is $800 per person, unless you visit St Thomas, and then that amount doubles to $1600 per person. You are supposed to claim everything you purchase on a cruise/trip, regardless if it's duty free or not. Yes, they are looking for things like contraband such as cigars, and yes, they do look for overages like booze and cigarettes. And no, it doesn't matter if you wear it off the ship or not, you should declare it. Does everyone declare everything they purchase? I doubt it. Will they search you? Possibly. They do random checks when you leave the terminal. Believe me, these officials are pretty smart and they can spot new items in a second. When I was leaving the terminal after my last cruise in November, one Customs guy was really grilling a woman about her jewelry she was wearing off the ship. I didn't stay long enough to see what happened.

Can someone explain to me how buying items duty free works? From what I can tell, each person can buy up to $800 worth of items and not have to pay duty, but after that you have to pay 3% or something? What happens if you forgot to claim something, do they just make you pay it if they find it or what? Are they actually looking for these things when you go through customs? I always thought they were searching for Cuban cigars, and/or other prohibited materials (too much booze, etc). What if you bought jewelry and wore it home? Just trying to make sure we have done this correct in the past and in the future.

If you choose to forget to declare something, it could cost you dearly in fines. Wearing jewelry to conceal the fact that is it new does not always work. There is a form one should fill out prior to leaving the US to prove that an item was bought in the US, therefore it is not taxable (CBP form 4457).

Prior to departure, bring the items to be registered to your local U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) office (In San Diego, 1240 North Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92101) between the hours of 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. The CBP officer on duty will give you a blank CF4457 to complete. Fill in the "Name of Owner," "Address of Owner" and "Description of Articles" blocks, and sign in the "Signature of Owner" block. The CBP officer will compare the merchandise with the information entered on the form, completing and signing the blocks grayed out above, and return the completed form to you for subsequent presentation to CBP each time the registered articles are returned. The form remains valid for re-importation of the registered articles for as long as the document is legible. The certificate is not transferable.

NOTE: Foreign repairs or alterations to articles, whether or not the articles are registered with CBP, are dutiable. Such repairs or alterations must be declared to CBP when the articles re-enter the United States, whether or not they were done free of charge.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/

If you choose to forget to declare something, it could cost you dearly in fines. Wearing jewelry to conceal the fact that is it new does not always work. There is a form one should fill out prior to leaving the US to prove that an item was bought in the US, therefore it is not taxable (CBP form 4457).

Prior to departure, bring the items to be registered to your local U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) office (In San Diego, 1240 North Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92101) between the hours of 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. The CBP officer on duty will give you a blank CF4457 to complete. Fill in the "Name of Owner," "Address of Owner" and "Description of Articles" blocks, and sign in the "Signature of Owner" block. The CBP officer will compare the merchandise with the information entered on the form, completing and signing the blocks grayed out above, and return the completed form to you for subsequent presentation to CBP each time the registered articles are returned. The form remains valid for re-importation of the registered articles for as long as the document is legible. The certificate is not transferable.NOTE: Foreign repairs or alterations to articles, whether or not the articles are registered with CBP, are dutiable. Such repairs or alterations must be declared to CBP when the articles re-enter the United States, whether or not they were done free of charge.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/

This is especially important if you're bringing a new or new-ish camera or laptop computer.

ON the jewlery question, I am not willing to take those chances. I bring my jewlery from home all of which I have purchased on various cruises, but I also bring the receipts for them and appraisals that have the pictures of the items on them.

The one time I don't do that will be the one time they question me.

I did have a fun time once when airport security pulled me asside because I was trying to board with fishing tackle LOL it was my jewlery box full of rings, earrings etc. and of course I was carrying it on.

Archived