QM2 Kitchen Tour

CruiseShelly

Managed to snag a ticket for one of the two kitchen tours during the recent January Getaway to St. Thomas. It was not in the daily program, I overheard a tour director telling a person that they had tickets for it, so I asked. And yes, there would be two kitchen tours on the last sea day. So if you are interested in seeing the Kitchen, ask at the Purser's desk to see if there will be a tour. I did, and I am glad I did.

Actually you'll learn there are five kitchens, and we toured the Brittannia Restaurant's kitchen as they were prepping for dinner.

We went on the tour - also on the last day - of our westbound transatlantic. It was okay.

For obvious reasons, they take you through when activity is at its lowest - in between breakfast and lunch - and stick pretty much to just the forward portions of the kitchen. None of the chefs were around doing any cooking (probably getting a precious break from the grind of what will be another long day), so it was a little on the sterile side. It was nothing like the scene in Carly Simon's CD, where the chef walked her around through an active kitchen and allowed her to taste test an escargot dish (and I think a dessert too). *That* would have been fun. By contrast, it was mainly looking at a *lot* of stainless steel counters and florescent lighting in a relatively unpopulated kitchen. I would love to be able to observe the Britannia kitchen when it is in full swing for dinner, with all the chefs busy cooking and the waiters rushing about with their orders.

The assistant maitre'd gave the tour and you could ask him any questions you wanted. It was interesting to get an idea of what the area looked like behind the scenes, but it is nothing to feel bad about if any of you want to go in the future and end up not getting an invite.

Paul

Managed to snag a ticket for one of the two kitchen tours during the recent January Getaway to St. Thomas. It was not in the daily program, I overheard a tour director telling a person that they had tickets for it, so I asked. And yes, there would be two kitchen tours on the last sea day. So if you are interested in seeing the Kitchen, ask at the Purser's desk to see if there will be a tour. I did, and I am glad I did.

Actually you'll learn there are five kitchens, and we toured the Brittannia Restaurant's kitchen as they were prepping for dinner.

Hello CruiseShelly,

A Belated Happy Holiday and Happy Healthy New Year from your July Cruise Partner! Hope this posting finds all in good health!

Haven't seen you on the board lately. We did do our Noordam and had mixed opinions about the ship and food. Cruiseking (Jonathan) is on now and awaiting his and the other's response. I would have liked to do a review but we all were sick after our return. I am glad I did the postings onboard. We did have a very nice group of CC'ers on our cruise that we are still in personal contact.

I see you have been onboard recently. We will be boarding the QM2 in April as my signature states. Would like to exchange thoughts thru personal email?

So glad to see you around. Beverly says HI! Say HELLO to Janet!

My very best New Year's Greetings to you, Eslo and Beverly!! This cruise I was on with husband instead of Janet, which was a little disorienting as I usually cruise with Janet!!!

QM2 is still the same ship we love, but I was just a tad disappointed that Cunard had made a definite effort to "downgrade" the formality of this 4 nighter out of Ft.Lauderdale. 1 formal night, 3 open shirt casual nights.

But seeing QE2 coming on Wednesday and dock next to us was exciting!

We had great weather, a great time in St. Thomas and I can't wait to board her again!

Have a great trip in April.

Dear CruiseShelly,

Thank you for your response.

Sorry your trip was shorter than the July 4th we were on.

Since we will be going on her very very soon, Bev wanted to know if you can reflect on the Service, Shows, Food, Cabin Service and any little items you pass on to us. Would like to compare to what we experienced and what did on this most recent trip.

Would appreciate you input, again Hello to Janet!

Service was very much like our July cruise. Shows were obviously abbreviated as to it only being 4 nights. The asst cruise director seemed to be in charge instead of Ray Rouse. I heard Cunard had given him a few days off before the world cruise.

Someone posted that the crew looked very tired after the holiday cruises. I did not sense this. Everyone we met was happy, perky and more than willing to help you out.

I thought they had also cut back abit in the buffet area during breakfast and lunch. That is only an observation, not a complaint. i.e. there was no carafes of Hot Milk for coffee at Breakfast. Often one of the four stations was closed for a meal. One day at lunch one station was not prepared and operation until after 12:30. And I thought the menus in Britannia were substantially the same in range of choices as last July.

I was not disappointed. And I thought there were fewer activities -- no RADA, etc on this short cruise. Again, just an observation, not a complaint, for most the time I just lolled in a deck chair anyway!

Dick and I have decided to try the QE2 probably in 2008. I hope there will be more formal nights than this last adventure!

I look forward to your and Beverly's thoughts on your upcoming April cruise. Is it transatlantic, or Caribbean?

Service was very much like our July cruise. Shows were obviously abbreviated as to it only being 4 nights. The asst cruise director seemed to be in charge instead of Ray Rouse. I heard Cunard had given him a few days off before the world cruise.

Someone posted that the crew looked very tired after the holiday cruises. I did not sense this. Everyone we met was happy, perky and more than willing to help you out.

I thought they had also cut back abit in the buffet area during breakfast and lunch. That is only an observation, not a complaint. i.e. there was no carafes of Hot Milk for coffee at Breakfast. Often one of the four stations was closed for a meal. One day at lunch one station was not prepared and operation until after 12:30. And I thought the menus in Britannia were substantially the same in range of choices as last July.

I was not disappointed. And I thought there were fewer activities -- no RADA, etc on this short cruise. Again, just an observation, not a complaint, for most the time I just lolled in a deck chair anyway!

Dick and I have decided to try the QE2 probably in 2008. I hope there will be more formal nights than this last adventure!

I look forward to your and Beverly's thoughts on your upcoming April cruise. Is it transatlantic, or Caribbean?

Well.. Never sailed the Queen.. but am anxiously awaiting our May sailing...At the last minute, on a whim really, we booked a Christmas cruise on Princess... I was so excited on the last day when they offered a galley tour. Out of our dozen cruises I never had the opportunity... I popped out of bed early to catch it...

Well, yes it was not much to see, aside from some really large pots!!... I do collect cookbooks and it was fun snagging one with the chefs signature on it... With each cruise I do picture reviews on our website... Here is what we saw.... I know it is not the Queen but an idea of what it will look like anyway!

http://www.justcruisin-sv.com/CruiseShips/Princess%20Page%2011.htm

Dear CruiseShelly,

Thank you for your thoughts. We appreciate your thoughts and also hope you get a L O N G E R cruise with alot more days to enjoy the cruise.

We find 10-11 days to be just find with quite of number at sea to enjoy the ship itself with all the activities in operations and offered.

We are going on a 8 day cruise to the Caribbean. Saint Thomas, St Kitts and Tortola with 4 days at sea (2 coming and 2 going). Our first time to St Kitts and most likely not off at Tortola and just walk around and shop at St Thomas.

I will let you know of our thoughts. I am not sure afterwards and/or "Live Onboard".

Love also to Janet.....

Archived