Quick answer needed

TracersQQ

I'm getting ready to head to the airport, for my cruise. I know the whole no liquids thing with flying. But, I need my hand lotion and I have a clear bottle (those travel accessory bottles they sale at Walmart, target, etc.)that I carry my lotion in, in my purse, it is a 3 oz. bottle (it says on the bottom.) I looked everywhere for a travel size of lotion, but I have a skin allergy to fragrance and there are only certain products that I can use, so I was unable to find any of my brands. Will I be able to take this bottle, filled with my lotion, in my carry on? It was unclear on the TSA site as to weather it had to be in original packaging.

My understanding is that it has to be in it's original packing. You can try to see if they'll let it go through, make sure you put it in your quart size bag. However, just be aware they may take it away from you and you might be selected for additonal security scrutiny..i.e. pull you aside, look through all your stuff and hand wand you.

I think you are going to lose it, depends on the person doing the search. But I had a 3 oz. bottle of eye drops in the original bottle and the guy almost took it, but the gal standing next to him, said it was okay. Everyone was losing any lotion, liquid that was not in it's original bottle, even some that were. As others have stated, be sure to put it in the quart sized plastic bag and place it in plain view, not like you were trying to hide it. Worst case scenario you will have to buy some when you get where you're going. Even medication in the weekly plastic containers was being confiscated. IT MUST BE IN THE ORIGINAL PRESCRIPTION BOTTLES with your name on it. My friend had hers (lots of it) in a quart plastic bag all in the original prescription bottles, then when we got to the hotel in NYC she transferred it to the weekly container for the cruise. Going through secruity, they picked up the plastic bag, looked at the bottles with her name on them, and let them pass right through. So the system does work sometimes. You just have to be sure you are following their guidelines. Have a great trip!:p

I couldn't find anything on tsa.gov about liguids having to be in their original containers (same with prescription medicines, but maybe that is more of a Customs regulation?). I personally have brought lotions, shampoo, etc. in plain plastic bottles with no problem. Realistically, you could empty out an original container and put anything you want in it.

I have always brought my prescriptions in a weekly-reminder container. If I have to bring my original bottles, they will take up the entire carry on. I think we have about 9 bottles between us and several of them are the huge bottles, with about 7/8 of it empty - I don't know why they put so few pills in those huge plastic bottles - it's so stupid! I have a letter from my doctor showing all my drugs and mg's. Do you think that would be enough, without bringing all the bottles? So, does that mean you have to bring seasick pills, Tylenol, etc. in their original containers too?

Oops, I realized I had a typo in my above post (liquid). Almost as bad as asking about attire in the "dinning" room...

I personally don't carry all my prescriptions in their original containers, and neither does my husband. That said, other posters have noted problems with

doing this, so maybe it is something to reconsider. Does anyone have a link to the regulations regarding bringing prescription drugs on board an airplane?

Is there a difference for liquid medications vs. pills? Thanks in advance.

Archived