parade route ???

sea-u-later

I was looking at the parades for Sunday the 18th and it seems like the 1100 and 1200 parades are basiclly the same routes. Does this mean that one runs into the next? And where would be the best area to see them? Also we need an escape route to get back to the cruise port. Thanks again.

Due to the shortage of police officers, all the downtown parades will have the same route. They line up behind each other, but will not start until their specific time of until the first crew if finished. Just to let you know, this day has probably more people out than Mardi Grad day because people come in for the weekend that cannot get off of work during the week. Some of the best parades roll Sunday, and if you are here Saturday, the parade that rolls Saturday night is wonderful. I would say get out early! We get our spot for like 7:15, but we are there all day and into the night. If you are only coming for a while, I would not get down any later than like 9:30. I would recommend going down Magazine and get as close as you can park to the parade route. Hope this helps. Nola.com has some info, but the new parade routes have not been updated yet, so check when it gets closer. Enjoy your trip!

Cathy

I was looking at the parades for Sunday the 18th and it seems like the 1100 and 1200 parades are basiclly the same routes. Does this mean that one runs into the next? And where would be the best area to see them? Also we need an escape route to get back to the cruise port. Thanks again.

The parades do follow each other. The best area to see them depends on where you're at. The closest place to the port would be on Canal street - right before they end. That would make it easy for you to get to the ship. But if they start at 11 or 12 they won't get to Canal for a couple hours. You could catch them earlier farther up the route - like when they are on St. Charles. In fact, if you want to see the parades in style you can get grandstand seating on St. Charles (gives you a place to sit while you're waiting for the parade and if you sit in the Lafayette Square seats you're right across the street from the viewing stand, where the floats stop (if they stop). As long as you stay on the riverside of St. Charles you shouldn't have the problem of trying to cross the parade route to get back to the port.

You may want to watch Arthur Hardy's online guide:

http://www.mardigrasguide.com/

Im liking the idea of watching the parade from Canal st. , as our ship doesnt leave until 530 pm. Assuming that the parade would appear around 1 pm on Canal st. we could watch a couple of hours, then make our way to the ship. Now if I can only find out if we can check our bags and ourselves on board then leave to see the show.

Im liking the idea of watching the parade from Canal st. , as our ship doesnt leave until 530 pm. Assuming that the parade would appear around 1 pm on Canal st. we could watch a couple of hours, then make our way to the ship. Now if I can only find out if we can check our bags and ourselves on board then leave to see the show.

Sounds like what I'd do. I was at the Riverwalk Center (the shopping center by the pier) on Sat. and it seemed that people were able to come and go from the ship once they checked in. There is a walkway from the pier to the shopping center and it there was quite a bit of foot traffic on it.

Archived