NCL Spirit

DEL67

Has anyone using a power wheelchair or scooter been in one of the NCL Spirit handicap cabins yet? If so, did you have any problems recharging your batteries?

We have reservations for November and I am mildly concerned because the Cruise Critic review indicated that since the Spirit was built for the Asian market there is only one 110 plug with a maximum capacity of 500 watts in each cabin. Anything over 500 watts blows all electricity in your hallway. Note: I do not know how much wattage the charger takes. I plan to check.

When I called NCL's special needs desk to ask about this, the response was I got was that all ships have 110 wiring.

At the same time, I asked if we needed to fill out a special needs form (as we do from all other lines) to prove we need the handicap cabin. The response was no, we do not do that, but you can tell us why you need it. Does that mean that anyone can book a handicap cabin or that NCL might have taken it away from us if I didn't happen to call? This will be our 2nd NCL cruise. The first was 4 years ago and I am beginning to remember why we haven't been back.

Our power chair charger pulls about 120 watts, so unless you are driving a power chair Hummer, you should be OK. We always take a power bar with us though as most ships only have one outlet (and sometimes the TV is on this), since we have the chair charger, our digital camera battery chargers and need a place other than the bathroom to plug in the blow dryer. We also plug in a nightlight here at night (and one in the bathroom if there is an outlet there). Of course we don't run all of this simultaneously.

Splinter:

Thanks for the response. No, my husband is not driving a Hummer wheelchair - although he probably wishes he were.

I was planning to see if I could figure out the conversion today, but now I do not have to. My concern was that his charger melted a converter while we were in London a few years ago. After that experience, I bought a small, dual-voltage charger that I take with us on trips, but was not sure of its wattage.

Like you, I usually take a power strip - not only for the extra outlets, but also in case in I need a little extra length to the charger cord. There is nothing worse than tripping over the cord in the dark at night because its not along the floor.

Archived