Pesky Black Flies - Petrohue Falls, Puerto Montt

Diva Onboard

I remember the pesky little bugs there. I would not call them black files (although they did fly and they were black). They were smaller than black flies and they did bite. I didn't have a problem near the falls. It was only when I went for a walk along the nature trail in the woods and then again while standing around near the little kiosk waiting to reboard the bus. Because of the weather, I was wearing long sleeves and long pants. But I had forgotten my bug repellent. I received a couple of bites on my hands that were still itchy when I got to Buenos Aires 2 weeks later! The bites were the size of a mosquito bite and itched the same way. Honestly, the bugs weren't bad and I don't know if wearing different coloured clothing would have made any difference. Likely you'll be wearing long pants and a sweater or jacket, so the only uncovered area to put repellent on would be your neck and hands. I was the only person in our group to get bitten (so I think it happened while I was wandering through the woods).

Has anyone taken a shore excursion to Petrohue Falls in Puerto Montt? A few posters have written that there are big pesky black flies there. If you are familiar with them - what color clothes should you wear and should you not wear? Do bug wipes help?

We did not have a problem and neither did the other 8 in our group.

you can see our clothes at http://new.photos.yahoo.com/intowines/album/576460762323596711/photo/294928803280664095/19

We just returned from the Rotterdam, 12/22/06-1/11/07, we cruised from Rio to Santiago by way of Antarctica. It was a fantastic cruise. We did the falls and YES, the HUGE black flies were everywhere, we were told they were "horse flies". They did not bite us but seemed to always be in your face. On the way back to the bus the man in front of us had flies all over the back of his black fleece jacket. We did not use bug repelent so can't help you there. But the falls are worth it, even with the pesky flies, we had blue skies and the volcano behind the rapids was beautiful. I got some great pictures. Enjoy your cruise, don't worry about the flies!

Hi -

We are on the Infinity cruises, and we've researched this quite a bit. Other posters have said in their reviews to: bring bug repellent AND wear light colored clothing. The bugs are supposed to be attracted to dark colored clothing.

Just wanted to share...

Liz

Attracted to dark colour and in particular dark blue. Our guide wore a blue jacket on purpose to attract the flies which she did so that we had fewer around us. They get in your face - due to the climate you will have long pants & long sleeves on so not too much exposed area.

Don't worry about them just enjoy your trip.

Archived