Birthday or Anniversary Decorations...

saraisarai

I was supposed to get Bon Voyage decorations on the Sun, but it was a birthday theme. Since my husband's b-day was just a week or so away, we changed it pretty quickly to a birthday celebration! I have a couple of pics of the decorated cabin. The cake was delicious, and the decorations were minimal.

2888489070085075047OksqTe_th.jpg

Has anyone ever paid to have their room decorated on the cruise for either one of these events? Was it worth it? What all did they do?

Decorations aren't really worth it if you ask me, but the cake was yummy.

An alternative would be to take your own decorations, and if it's a surprise just ask your room steward to decorate...and hand him a $10 tip. I believe you can go to the pursers desk and tell them your celebrating a birthday on the ship and they will give you a card to give the Maitre'd and they will bring out a small cake with your desserts. *To me these cakes are rather dry and tasteless.:eek:

We did get the birthday package for my wife who celebrated her birthday while on a recent cruise. We arranged to have the room decorated while we were at a shore excurision, so when we came back she was surprised to find the room nicely decorated and a very large cake awaiting us. The cost was $30 and the room was decorated with balloons, streamers, confetti, and a few happy birthday signs. The cake could have fed 10 -12. it was a nice treat upon returning to the ship. We kept the signs for future birthdays.

I think you need to know the recipient. We left on a Sunday, the day after my son's 16th birthday. This meant he had to wait an extra week to get his learner's permit. That of course was a tragedy. When we got on the ship his room was decorated and he was very happy.

The day after the cruise ended my mother's friend who was with us turned 75. She is a widow without kids. I'm not sure who would have celebrated her birthday or to what degree. The last full day at sea, she went back to the room for something and it was all decorated. She was thrilled.

While somewhat expensive for what you get, for me both of these were very worthwhile. Like others have said, the cake was very good and quite large. Definately better than the ones served to celebrate an occassion in the dining room.

I just (sailed on 1-9-07) did the Anniversary package for my parents on the NCL Pearl. What a waste of $30. I thought it would be similar to Carnival decorations but it was a joke. They put a cutout of silver bells on the door (cute), put a triangular white streamer on the ceiling and taped about 7 pastel NCL balloons in the middle. Kindof like setting up for pool. They did get a cake that said Happy Anniversary but it was kinda gross. The frosting was good. All in all, maybe a $12 value.

Archived