Snorkel Vests in St. Thomas/St. Martin

Riskywood

We are planning to snorkel at Coki Beach on St. Thomas and maybe on St. Martin. We don't have vests yet. I was wondering if you think we need them at Coki Beach? Thanks for your advice!

• 2 weeks later...

I used one once 15 yrs ago at Coki pt.and

within 10 min.I took it off and could

snorkle much better. Really for those who

have never snorkeled before. You will

probably do better without one since you

are so boyant in salt water anyway. Have a

great time.

Whether you wear a vest or not is probably dependant upon how comfortable you are in the water. My wife and I both wear vests and have done so for the past 15 years. However, she ALWAYS inflates hers before entering the water. She loves to snorkel but isn't the least bit interested in going underwater, even a foot. She's more comfortable with her's inflated.

I don't think I have ever inflated mine. Being a scuba diver, I love getting down closer to things. I wear the vest simply for safety. Should something happen where I have time to inflate it, like a leg cramp, it would add a measure of safety. If something would go horribly wrong, it wouldn't do me a bit of good, but then neither would not wearing one. At least I have the option.

You might be more buoyant in saltwater but you can still drown.

'89 Commodore/Caribe I

'92 NCL/Westward

'96 NCL/Seaward

'99 RCI/Rhapsody Of The Seas

'00 RCI/Legend Of The Seas

'01 Princess/Ocean Princess

'02 RCI/Vision Of The Seas

'03 Princess/Sea Princess, back-to-back

'03 Princess/Sea Princess

'04 Hawaii, 2 weeks on land

TAHITIAN PRINCESS 02/11/05

I hope this is not a stupid question.... but ...I dont know how to swim but I would like to try to snorkle. Are the waters shallow enough to do so??? or if I wore a vest would I be safe?

enchantment 10/2

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;10;2;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

afaulkner,

I would not recommend it, as much as I love snorkeling and think everyone should do it. Here's the good thing, though: You have plenty of time to learn enough swimming basics before you leave in October, if you want to.

I know people who have taken adult swim classes at the "Y" or at their local city pools, and learned well, and fairly quickly.

It would be worth it. There are some places where you can wade in and snorkel shallow, but I doubt you would get nearly as much out of doing it that way.

Best,

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Even in a shallow beach location, there's always a danger of sudden tide changes that can carry you out.

Besides, shallow beach locations are usually lousy snorkeling - nothing to see but a sand bottom and the occasional small fish.

Learn to swim first. It's definitely worth the time and effort. There is a marvelous world beneath the waves.

Archived