Has anyone ever needed oxygen on board?

familyof4cruising

I am traveling with a large group. One of my friends is going to need to have oxygen onboard. I was on hold with NCL for 20 minutes today and gave up - I will call my TA tomorrow to see if she can find out. I was wondering if anyone on the boards had any experience with needing oxygen on board a cruise ship? Should I contact the ships coordinator? Should I have my TA take care of it? Thanks

I am traveling with a large group. One of my friends is going to need to have oxygen onboard. I was on hold with NCL for 20 minutes today and gave up - I will call my TA tomorrow to see if she can find out. I was wondering if anyone on the boards had any experience with needing oxygen on board a cruise ship? Should I contact the ships coordinator? Should I have my TA take care of it? Thanks

This is what I know,

If you require medical equipment such as oxygen therapy(liquid oxygen is not allowed on board),you must provide your own, as they do not have medical equipment available on board. I believe you must alert NCL's ship coordinator department in advance, so your equipment can be cleared before departure.The number for you to call is 1-800-327-7030 ask for the Ship Coordinator Department. Hope you all have a wonderful cruise.

My husband requires oxygen so this is how we worked through the situation. We contacted our local oxygen supplier and they are handling working with the Florida branch so that an oxygen concentrator is delivered to our stateroom. Our local office is handling all the necessary paperwork and making sure the Florida branch has all they need to make the delivery. There is a $200 charge for a damage fee and delivery on Sunday. I talked with the ship coordinator several weeks ago and she told me how to handle things such as working with our local oxygen supplier. You can email the ship coordinator at shipcoordinator(name of ship)@ncl.com. Our ship coordinator reassured me that they deal with the oxygen situation all the time but there is paperwork that must be completed before a delivery can be made to a stateroom. I'm lucky that our oxygen supplier has a branch located near Miami and most of the expense will be covered by our insurance. I wanted to take a concentrator from our local supplier with us but the company will not let us do that since these machines are expensive. The concentrator is too large to take on board an airplane and too expensive to risk checking it as baggage. I also looked into renting a concentrator but that was too expensive (about $500 for one week). All this takes time so you are wise to start working on it now.

Archived