Jewel -Mexico and Belize?

travel07

I have heard mixed things about Costa Maya and Belize. Are these worthwhile ports to visits? Is the snorkeling as good as Grand Cayman? The Jewel looks like a beautiful ship but want to discuss these ports before we make a decision.

I have heard mixed things about Costa Maya and Belize. Are these worthwhile ports to visits? Is the snorkeling as good as Grand Cayman? The Jewel looks like a beautiful ship but want to discuss these ports before we make a decision.

Personally, I don't like Costa Maya but absolutely love Belize! Costa Maya is pretty much a cruise ship only port and fairly dirty. I'm a scuba diver and there are many fantastic spots to dive in Belize. While I don't snorkel I would have to say based on my diving experience in Belize that you won't be disappointed.

Sandie

No, Nassau is better. When you get off the ship in Costa Maya and walk down the pier you enter an area that has shops, a pool, and bars. This area is not open unless a ship is in port. You can take a taxi, walk, or rent a golf cart to a nearby fishing village but again its pretty dirty and not much there. The bar in Costa Maya is where alot of people go. Its in the middle of the square and the staff is very interactive and play drinking games with the patrons. Most excursions have to be booked on the ship although there are a couple of vendors selling snorkelling excursions and such. However anything like ATV's or such must be booked on the ship. To be honest if I were to stop in Costa Maya again I don't think I'd even get off the ship. Belize however, is a great port, and more than makes up for Costa Maya.

Sandie

Archived