Anyone have info on what to do in Koh Samui, Thailand?

jantre

We will be in Koh Samui from 10:00 am until 6:00 pm on our Nautica Feb. 20 cruise BKK - Beijing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated about transportation from ship to recommended activities and sightseeing.

Thank you.

Janet

Hi Janet

We docked at Koh Samui about ten years ago. It is a big tourist draw for people from Europe seeking sunshine and beaches. We didn't feel like taking a tour to see the elephant show or the monkeys drop coconuts down from a tree, so we just took a cab ride.

Hopefully, someone who has been there more recently can fill you in if anything has been added in the past ten years.

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

So nice to hear from you again. You always have great info.

Where does the ship dock? I think I read somewhere that there is a ferry to the island. I'm confused as to location of ship vs. island. Sorry, but I need clarification.

What did you do after you took taxi, where did you go and how long were you there?

Sorry to be so vague. Just call me "clueless."

Thanks Sheila.

Janet

We hired a driver with a van to take 8 of us on a tour of the island, and the highlight for me was visiting a beautiful, rather isolated resort, way up high overlooking the water. I wish I could recall the name, it seemed quite private, and was supposedly one of the best on Koh Samui. We enjoyed a gourmet lunch surrounded by bougainvillea and orchids, and I remember the flatware was like artwork, and the plates looked like Dale Chihuly had designed them. There was a small Jim Thompson shop hidden away where we found some silk items that we had not previously seen in Bangkok, and were thrilled with our find. (Our driver really wanted to show us the monkeys, and he was so nice, we simply couldn't refuse.)

Eyewitness has a travel guide on Thailand that should be an excellent source of information.

Archived