New to Seabourn - Tipping/Drinking/Touring/Dressing/Seaworthyness

Kindlychap

My mother has it in mind to go to the Baltic next year with Seabourn. I'm required to go with her. We're likely to go with my wife and her partner to make a foursome.

I have some queries. You'll see I have experience of the Queen Elizabeth 2, and anyone who is able to make direct comparisions will be a saviour.

Tipping.

Cunard come up with the "tipping is taken care of for you by virtue of our daily tax" type policy, only all the staff seem to get a tip at the end anyway. Ours do....

Am I right in reading the brochure that tipping is, in essence, banned?

Drinking

The brochure implies that basic drinks are included - such as wine with dinner, spirits and champagnes. Is this correct? Would it be fair to assume that the level would be good, but not outrageous (say Perrier Jouet NV rather than the Belle Epoque?)

If one wants to sit at the bar all night drinking champagne, is that in order?

Or have I misunderstood completely?

Touring

We feel this is the weak spot on Cunard. I've read on this board that there are a variety of operators that Seabourn use. Any comments on the trips from the Baltic cruises?

Dress.

Formal nights to me mean dress suit (tuxedo). My mother is concerned that her partner may prefer to wear a dark suit. Whilst the brochure admits this as a possibility, how much of a minority would he be in if he were to do this?

Non formal nights - presumably Jacket and tie every night? I've never been to dinner on the Queen Elizabeth in less than a blazer and tie (which was a casual night) but wouldn't want to appear like a stuffed shirt!

Seaworthyness.

Given that these ships are so small, how much would this be felt in terms of movement, compared to a liner? [i'm sure that they are completely safe, but not all the proposed parties are good sailors!]

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

Tipping.

Is not required or expected. Some Seabourn sailors will drop a card with money in it for the crew fund. But that is optional and not expected. Because of the size of the ship and number of passengers, most restaurant /staff know your last name. I did a Thank You card a day before I go off the ship, and two different people thanked me for it, because they post those in the crew mess.

Drinking

Outside up high price wines pretty much most drinks are include. If you name some things people here will be able to tell you if it is included or not.

Dress

I would say that around 80-90% of the men wore Tuxs but suits are fine. Most non-formal nights men wear sport's coats no ties.

Hi Matthew and welcome to Seabourn Cruise Line!

Yes, tipping is not required. As for drinking, since I do not imbibe, I can make general statements form what I have observed. You are correct all drinks are included unless your are a connoisseur of fine wines, spirits and champagnes. Seabourn has a silver and a gold wine package that can be purchased for finer wines with dinner ( and maybe lunch too). It is perfectly acceptable to drink champagne in the bar all night if you so desire. When I was on the Legend last November, the house champagne was Piper Heidsieck Monopole. If you only drink Dom Perignon or Moet & Chandon then you will be surcharged. The connoisseurs can provide more details.

I have not been to the Baltic on Seabourn so I can't advise on the shore excursions. I agree with Blackbird's comment about dress on formal nights but in my experience on the non-formal nights quite a few of the gents will wear jacket and tie. You can always dine casually in the Veranda for dinner when it is open.

My only Baltic cruise was in '95 on the Royal Viking Sun. I was very disappointed that there was no vessel motion at all (like the ship was tied up alongside the entire cruise). The Staff Captain told me that since the Baltic is so shallow, no matter how hard the wind blows it does not generate any swells or wave action. Granted, the triplets, as we affectionately call them, are a lot smaller than the Royal Viking Sun, vessel motion during the cruise should not be a problem. If you are unsure, pack in your carry-on bag your favorite seasickness medication as a precaution.

I did the October 2000 QE2 10 day crossing to FLL and the B2B 4 day Caribbean Sampler cruises in the Queens Grill. As far as overall service goes, I rate Seabourn superior in all respects. Seabourn employs the finest cadre of service and wait staff, bar none. As far as Queens Grill food vs. Seabourn, I rate Seabourn slightly higher. The Seabourn experience is casual by day and elegant after the sun goes down.

I think you and your traveling party will have a grand time onboard your Seabourn Yacht. Bon Voyage! :)

Good advice from the gentlemen, above. I can weigh in about the ship's motion; depending on the seas, you may encounter a lot of it. I was in the Caribbean and it was UP and down and UP and down, on both of my cruises. Not all the time, but on each cruise (I've done 2 on Seabourn now), there were a couple of nights like that! Being a smaller ship, you will feel the motion more if there are any rough seas. Never bothered me, and Bonine (or whatever) may be handy for those it may bother. Very interesting about the Baltic perhaps having less motion, that's a good tidbit to know! I'm looking at that itinerary, too.

Cute, your comment about sitting around sipping champagne all night. You can do it on Seabourn for sure! Hope you will give them a try, I'm certainly in love with them!

Jane :rolleyes:

Thanks.

I found the post about the complimentary wine list after posting this thread, and it seemed very New World wine. Nothing red from France and nothing from Germany at all!!!

I'm fine with motion - recently returned from a January Transatlantic where the winds were up to force 9 and was quite happy. It's the rest of the group who are less happy.....

I find champagne the best cure for slight seasickness.

I'm completely sure that my wife and I will be happy on board - my queries are mainly directed on behalf of the rest of the party..... Well, apart from the drink!

On which topic - does one buy good wine by the bottle? Or does it work in some other way?

Hi Kindlychap (and an additional welcome to the SB forum!):

I'm sure different bottles of wine are available for purchase at any and all meals, but if you're not satisfied with the "house" pours (and I'm sure you can acquire a list from the sommelier), you should look into the Wine Package offered, which you can do once you board.

I've not looked into it, but from reading other threads (you can search this forum for "Wine Package"), there are apparently some very nice wines offered in the two packages, at (purported) reasonable prices.

You should find plenty of choices for your, and your companions', palates!

The Yachts of Seabourn are even more addictive than cruising itself...so be prepared to be pampered, and spoiled!

Happy Sailing, and safe travels to you and yours...

Paul :)

Welcome Matthew,

A touring alternative you might consider is independent sightseeing, particularly at St Petersburg as well discussed elsewhere in CruiseCritic.

On formal nights Tux’s are the vast majority but my own opinion is that nobody is concerned one way or the other about a fellow being in a dark suit, I don’t think it would even be particularly noticed. The brochure now mentions Formal or Elegant Casual for dining room and Elegant Casual or Casual on the corresponding nights for the Veranda. Elegant Casual means at least a jacket over a sweater or shirt and just Casual means just the sweater or shirt. A fair bit of jackets and ties above these suggestions will be seen however. Sometimes I’ve added a tie with a jacket because the shirt I picked needed a shot of colour, that might simply be the case for other fellows too.

A point about motion might be whether or not you choose an itinerary that includes calls west of the Skagerrak. If it does then a cabin low and aft of the forward staircase might be a safer bet for your seniors.

I know it takes reading time but grind through the search function here, people’s previous posts have touched on a variety of information for all of these topics before.

My knowledge of the QE2 is second hand but I take it you understand what a basic difference the small size and intimacy will make both with regard to socializing with your fellow travelers and to the good attention you will receive from the very personable staff. I enjoyed it immensely. Of course you’ll have to put up with all those Yankees ...but they seem to have kept pretty good notes from the Old South on fine hospitality and friendliness.

Good sailing, Bill

PS as you are a frequent sailor, come prepared with a prospective “next trip” in case you decide to take up the 5% onboard discount offer. It’s not binding and it helps with asking early for good cabin choices.

Just an FYI from my Thanksgiving menu this year.

Listed bottles of wine for purchase on the dinner menu:

Chapoutier Condrieu, Bordeaux, 2004 - $74

Penfold's St. Henri, Australia 2001 $64

A poster from the Land of Oz :D did a recent 59 day cruise on the Spirit and her DH brought a Tux and one to two sport's coats. And maybe just maybe by the end of the cruise her DH was unable to fit into his Tux pants and had to use another pair of pants with the Tux jacket. :p

If when the dinner wine is presented, you do not like it as much as another wine they served you can ask and normally they will pour the other wine.

Seabourn has something called a "special order" and a "standing order". You can special order with 24 notice a meal. LOL and there is one poster on here that loves her snails and she places a "standing order" for them every night as an app.

The service is very very high thru out the ship, unlike some ships that once you leave the "Royal Suite" the service is based on the lowest inside cabin.

"No can do" is very rare on Seabourn..

Note on the standard wines, each ship does pick up "local" wines as they travel so what is offered in addition to the "standard" would include wines from the part of the world you are cruising in.

Here's the Vintage Seabourn list from the Seabourn Pride in December, 2006. The price was $150 for the silver program (three bottles) and $300 for the gold program (six bottles).

Silver Connoisseur White Wine Collection

• Far Niente Chardonnay, Napa Valley 2003
  • Domaine Laroche Les Blanchots, Burgundy 2002
  • Baron de L. Pouilly Fume, Loire Valley 2000
  • La Scolca Gavi di Gavi, Piedmont 2003
  • Trimbach Riesling, Cuvee Frederick Emile 1999
  • Chateau Suduiraut, Sauternes 1997

Silver Connoisseur Red Wine Collection

• Penfold's St. Henri, Shiraz 2001
  • Rosemount Balmoral Syrah 2000
  • Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon, Alexander Valley 2000
  • Vosne Romanee, Jean Grivot, Cote d'Or 2000
  • Hermitage Marquise de la Tourette, delas Freres, 2000
  • Laetitia Pinot Noir, Arroyo Grande Valley 2002

Gold Connoisseur White Wine Collection (in addition to the Silver Collection)

• Patz and Hall Chardonnay "Hyde Vineyard" 2002
  • Condrieu, Chapoutier, Rhone Valley 2001
  • Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough 2004
  • Moillard Puligny Montrachet 2005

Gold Connoisseur Red Wine Collection (in addition to the Silver Collection)

• Chateau Giscours, Margaux 2001
  • Castello Banfi, Brunello di Montalcino 2000
  • Hanzell Pinot Noir, Sonoma Valley 2002
  • Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon, Alexander Valley 2001

Thanks for that list. Seabourn don't like European red wine, do they?

I presume that there isn't the demand in America. Is that correct?

Matthew

The sommeliers told me that Fort Lauderdale is the major wine provisioning point for the Caribbean cruises. It is probably easier and more economical to stock California wine. On our cruise over 2/3 of the passengers were from the USA or Canada with most of the remainder from the UK and Europe. I would guess the Mediterranean and Baltic cruises would have more French and German wines. I have taken Seabourn two years in a row and, to my taste, the wines improved year-over-year.

In the Club, Seabourn offered seven or eight different kinds of single-malt scotch (no extra charge) and there was almost always a waiter walking around with a bottle of champagne ready to top off your glass. You won't go thirsty on Seabourn. If you need something to nibble on with that drink, there is unlimited Russian sevruga caviar.

There was almost always a waiter walking around with a bottle of champagne ready to top off your glass. You won't go thirsty on Seabourn. If you need something to nibble on with that drink, there is unlimited Russian sevruga caviar.

Now that is what I call civilised!

Matthew

Welcome aboard. We just disembarked the Legend a couple of days ago. Had a wonderful time. I had been concerned that with so many new hires..[had heard it through the grapevine]...that the level of service might be different. So happy to report...the service and food was better than ever.

The point I wanted to make....the no tipping thing is personal. They tell you it is not expected! Let me tell you, these young people work soooo hard and are so special to you...we always tip between 15 to 20 of them. When you think about it..you get good service [or not] in a restaurant and bend over backwards to be gracious. When the SB crew knows your name...knows your drink of choice...assists you at every turn...my husband and I agree on little....but this we certainly agree on...we tip those who have been above and beyond. It makes your trip so special. Enjoy..Lola

Touring

We feel this is the weak spot on Cunard. I've read on this board that there are a variety of operators that Seabourn use. Any comments on the trips from the Baltic cruises?

Dress.

Formal nights to me mean dress suit (tuxedo). My mother is concerned that her partner may prefer to wear a dark suit. Whilst the brochure admits this as a possibility, how much of a minority would he be in if he were to do this?

Non formal nights - presumably Jacket and tie every night? I've never been to dinner on the Queen Elizabeth in less than a blazer and tie (which was a casual night) but wouldn't want to appear like a stuffed shirt!

Hello Matthew!

I thought I would chime in on Touring and Dress.

I find the selection of tours that Seabourn offers to be quite vast and there is always an option for every type of activity level and lifestyle. They are modestly priced and you never feel like a heard of cattle. To me they offer a "personal" touch. Keep in mind that most every voyage offers a complimentary "Seabourn Experience" shore excrusion which is usually quite memorable.

As far as dress, I bring a tuxedo for formal night, but nobody will sniff if your mother's partner wears a dark suit, it's perfectly acceptable. Most nights in the Restaurant require a jacket, but there are more resort casual options such as the Tastings 2 or Sky Grill dinners. Lastly, do not forget to dine in your suite at least once! You will be completely pampered! It's a great way to get to know some of the outstanding crew. Don't feel that you are overworking the staff by requesting this, remember you are on Seabourn and they are more than willing and happy to provide this service. :)

The other Matthew

I don't want to turn this into a tipping thread, but let me just say just as you ask if a dark suit is acceptable on formal nights rather than a tuxedo (it is), a sport jacket is not appropriate, though you might get away with it...tipping is specifically discouraged (as it assists in breaking down the system which is in place - see below), though you can get away with it.

The point is that the crew is paid more than the equivalent of a gratuity as part of their salary. On a small ship like Seabourn's almost everything is a team effort, so tipping the person who is in front of you penalizes the ones who are not, but who may very likely made the one you just tipped look really good. That is not good.

There is a crew welfare fund you may donate to. The crew knows who donates and it is greatly appreciated...and everyone who makes you cruise that good share in your generosity. That is good.

As you say, it is a matter of choice. When you say that they are well paid..that is open to question. They get paid in US...returning to Europe with US does not go very far. We established a tipping system in 1986 when we first started sailing the small ships...and will continue to do it. As for the SB system of no tipping. It is NOT a no tipping policy....it is....tipping not expected. There is a huge diffence. Lola

>"We just disembarked the Legend a couple of days ago. Had a wonderful time. I had been concerned that with so many new hires..[had heard it through the grapevine]...that the level of service might be different. So happy to report...the service and food was better than ever."

Well, I have understand that neither of you was spotted dancing on the tables in the Sky Bar. but did hear you two seemed to be having a wonderful time.

I agree, the service seems as seamless as ever.

However, with regard to tipping, I generally tip my room stewardess and then make a contribution to the Crew Welfare Fund. That way I know that the young man who is cleaning the elevator in the middle of the night also can benefit from my gratitude.

It's easy to do: the purser will give you a charge form, you write down how much and it's charged to your account. Perhaps more importantly for many crew is to be mentioned by name in the cruise evaluation form. (Sometimes they lobby for that -and there is a thread somewhere on it- but mostly it's in good fun.

More later, time for a BBC! And Luca is making me pasta carbonara for lunch.

Now you are REALLY hurting us. Luca's Pastas are to die for. Our little room stewardes, Lynette said that the staff always looks forward to him cooking for them. Hope you enjoyed your BBC and will also find all of your other imbibements worthy of your palette. Don accused me of being a bit too "precious and darling" on a few of the evenings. ha..Lola

Archived