Omni San Diego, pre-cruise

MJ Cape Cod

We'll be staying at the Omni San Diego for 2 nights prior to our 3/26/07 Mexican Riviera cruise on Celebrity's Mercury. Do you know if there is shuttle service to the port from the Omni? If not, any idea of distance and/or cab fare?

I'd love to hear your thoughts/opinions; will we need to rent a car to go to the Zoo, and Coronado Island, can we walk to public transportation? What is the Gaslight area and are we close enough to walk to it - or to other places of interest?

If we do rent a car, are there generally "return" sites near the port or do we have to return the car to the airport and then find a way to get to the port?

As they say "the devil is in the details" and that's where I need some advice! Thanks so much for your help.

You will be pleasantly surprised at how close your hotel is to the pier, airport, Gaslamp Qtr., Horton Plaza. Surely the hotel has shuttle service, but a cab would be very cheap.

You will be across the street from a light-rail, mass transit trolley stop. There is also a bus that looks like an old-fashioned trolley, that makes a loop-trip to some of the sights http://www.historictours.com. You could do and see more with a rental car, and if they won't shuttle you from the airport return location to the pier, it's only a $5-7 cab ride anyway. If you belong to AAA, why not get the TourBook or map to use for research? Or go to:

http://www.sandiego.com

http://www.signonsandiego.com

http://www.portofsandiego.org/sandiego_maritime/cruise

Hope you enjoy this beautiful city.

The Gaslamp Quarter is San Diego's downtown renovated and rehabbed area that has many restaurants, clubs, and shops. It covers about 8 square blocks downtown. You are right there at the Omni. Too bad it is too early for baseball, as you also have a view of the ballpark from this hotel.

From the Omni you should be able to get a bus to the Zoo. I take the bus right by the Zoo to get to the ballpark, so ask at your hotel. Alternatively, a cab would probably be about $10. There is plenty to see in Balboa Park in addition to the Zoo as well (museums, gardens, etc.).

For Coronado, you can take the trolley to the Amtrak station, then walk to the cruise ship pier. Just south of this is the passenger ferry to Coronado Island. You can then catch a shuttle bus from there that goes down Orange Ave. to the Hotel Del and a very nice walking beach (too cold to swim that time of year though).

You can also take the San Diego Trolley to Old Town state park. Good places to eat, little shops, and some history.

Gratefulguy and Splinter,

Thanks so much for the info - very, very helpful! I'm relieved to know how close we are to everything, and that their are several different ways to get around. May decide to rent a car anyway to drive up the coast a bit - but nice to know it's not necessary for the zoo, pier, and gaslamp areas. We do belong to AAA and have ordered the tour book and map, and have also ordered the DK Eyewitness 10 best for San Diego, so I should be well informed, but there is no substitution for personal advise from those who have been there. Thanks again - I love these message boards.

Gratefulguy and Splinter,

Thanks so much for the info - very, very helpful! I'm relieved to know how close we are to everything, and that their are several different ways to get around. May decide to rent a car anyway to drive up the coast a bit - but nice to know it's not necessary for the zoo, pier, and gaslamp areas. We do belong to AAA and have ordered the tour book and map, and have also ordered the DK Eyewitness 10 best for San Diego, so I should be well informed, but there is no substitution for personal advise from those who have been there. Thanks again - I love these message boards.

If you plan to get a car, be sure to check out the parking rates at the Omni....NOT cheap!

I can also highly recommend the official 59-mile Scenic Drive for San Diego. It will take you past most of the major sites (get out if you want) and you will see a lot of San Diego. This is what I do when I have guest from out of town (in addition to taking them to the Zoo).

If you are only going to be in San Diego for 2 days, you really won't need a car. There are SO MANY wonderful things to see here without having to go up the coast. And if these 2 days are week days, you could get in a lot of traffic jams going up the coast.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived