Chilkoot Horseback Adventure - Skagway

miami

• 4 years later...
Has anyone taken this tour? Would you recommend it? My daughter would like to do this one but has never been on a horse.

Stay Away! We just got back from our Disney Cruise. A woman fell off her horse after it went into a ditch to eat leaves and went to it's knees. Because the use mounting blocks her stirrups were cinched up too high for her to get back on. They left her by the side of the road to wait for a ride. No one from the company stayed with her.

This was more like a kids pony ride, had to wear a helmet and stay in line like pack mules. No trotting or anything, just go along a road to a field they take your camera and take your picture. Go back to the stable offer lemonade and salmon pate. Not worth the time or $$$.:mad:

When we were planning our trip, I'd considered one in Skagway. It looked like you spent more time riding the van up and back, was pricey, and less time on the horse.

If you end up in Seward, I'd recc. Bardy's. The ride was scenic across the bay from the Small Boat Harbor, after you started out in a gravel parking lot. We saw an eagle's nest, crossed the river and moved in and out of a brushy area. Bree had a couple well-mannered smaller horses for the family that went at the same time as us. My mount was a little more spunky, but I have ridden in the past. It wasn't a nose to tail trip. No heights. Less $$. We enjoyed it a lot. My photobook is posted in this forum on another thread and there are pics from the trailride. Check it out if you'd like.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1361811

(Just noticed that the original question was OLD.

My search for a good horseback riding option was one of the harder parts of my planning because there were few reviews and not much info. so I'm letting it stay.)

Wow...not sure which excursion the folks from the Disney cruise went on, but we were on the Disney Wonder (June 28-July 5) and had a BLAST on our Skagway trail ride! Gorgeous day, wonderful staff. Yes....we weren't allowed to trot, but that's common for almost all trail rides no matter where you go. The scenery was lovely. We went out to a beautiful valley area and they took our pictures. The staff riding with us told us stories the whole way. When we came back, we had a full salmon bake dinner waiting for us. (it was the sunset horseback riding adventure).

Anyway....we completely enjoyed ourselves!

• 4 weeks later...

I did this tour and booked through the stable itself. I specifically told them I did NOT want to go on a trail ride with a long string of folks with variable riding ability. We ended up going in a van with just the three of us, very nice guide and went on the trail ride with just us three and the guide. It cost us no more than the excursion through the cruise line and it was AWESOME. One word of advice this is probably NOT the tour to take if you have never ridden a horse before. The staff are not camp counselors.

Archived