Food on the Zuiderdam

giraffez

Are there Sashimi (raw salmon) and smoked salmon?

Do people usually dine in the dining room or the lido (for breakfast, lunch and dinner?). The table reservations you make, are they for the main dining room?

Are there many hot soups? I read somewhere that there is pea soup served on board during the day - is this for the Zuiderdam?

Oh I fogot, I don't want to waste food but if its so delicious and I want a second serving, would it be too late to order it AFTER i finish my first? If so, is there a cost for ordering seconds?

Thanks

Are there Sashimi (raw salmon) and smoked salmon?

Do people usually dine in the dining room or the lido (for breakfast, lunch and dinner?). The table reservations you make, are they for the main dining room?

Are there many hot soups? I read somewhere that there is pea soup served on board during the day - is this for the Zuiderdam?

Oh I fogot, I don't want to waste food but if its so delicious and I want a second serving, would it be too late to order it AFTER i finish my first? If so, is there a cost for ordering seconds?

Thanks

1. We eat at both; we generally have our dinner in the Main Dining Room. When you book your cruise, this is the dining preference that is being discussed.

2. Soups and salads are on every dinner menu. Don't limit yourself to the hot soups though, you will be doing yourself a great injustice if you don't try the chilled berry soups as well.

3. If you want seconds, just ask; the staff will bring it to you no additional charge. For example, I like lobster and the night it came up on the menu, I definately got seconds. :D

A note about the Sashimi, there is a sushi bar on the Lido and I believe I also saw Sashimi offered in the main line on the lido as well. It may be on the dining menu as an appitizer but seeing I don't care for it, I really didn't look that closely.

There is an oriental section in the buffet that offers sushi or sashimi -- I am not an expert so I don't know which is which! I get the "rolls" with rice and seaweed and they are good. I don't go for the raw chunks so I can't say about them.

Table reservations are for dinner in the main dining room. Breakfast and lunch are "open seating" in the dining room. Many people like the buffet. The main dining room will offer the more "complicated" entrees like Eggs Benedict or Belgian waffles.

There are always very good hot and cold soups. The pea soup is served on the Dutch dinner night.

You can order as many servings as you want. Sometimes it is more efficient to order them up front instead of waiting til you finish one. You can have several appetizers or desserts, too! However, in general, if you have appetizer, soup, salad, entree and dessert that will be a nice full meal. Whatever you want, just ask your waiter!

Also, be sure to try the Indonesian specialties, particularly the nasi goreng. They are a trademark of HAL.

You are going to love the Zuiderdam and come home raving about the food!

There is an oriental section in the buffet that offers sushi or sashimi -- I am not an expert so I don't know which is which! I get the "rolls" with rice and seaweed and they are good. I don't go for the raw chunks so I can't say about them.

Table reservations are for dinner in the main dining room. Breakfast and lunch are "open seating" in the dining room. Many people like the buffet. The main dining room will offer the more "complicated" entrees like Eggs Benedict or Belgian waffles.

There are always very good hot and cold soups. The pea soup is served on the Dutch dinner night.

You can order as many servings as you want. Sometimes it is more efficient to order them up front instead of waiting til you finish one. You can have several appetizers or desserts, too! However, in general, if you have appetizer, soup, salad, entree and dessert that will be a nice full meal. Whatever you want, just ask your waiter!

Also, be sure to try the Indonesian specialties, particularly the nasi goreng. They are a trademark of HAL.

You are going to love the Zuiderdam and come home raving about the food!

glad to hear that your food experience was a good one. appears that HAL has paid attention to messages on the boards...there are more and more positive reports.

Yum! thanks all.

I am not a fan of chilled soups - i just don't think cold and soup go hand in hand but reading these forums, i see more people rave about chilled soup than the hot ones so am looking forward to see what the fuss is all about.

CHeers!

Archived