Just back from Alaska!!!!!

auj1fan

Wow what an amazing place. The views are so breathtaking! We saw lots of wildlife from the ship....Orcas, Humpbacks, Harbor Seals, Dall Porpoises and Eagles.

We went to Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. All great cities with lots of shopping.

In Juneau we did a float plane trip over the glacier ice fields....words can not explain how amazing and beautiful. The plane was very smooth too! Well worth the $169.

In Skagway we rode the White Pass Yukon train. The trip up was great. Unbelieveable sites. The ride down however was a little boring as we say it all going up. Maybe a better idea to ride back down via bus or whatever else is offered.

In Ketchikan we did the Saxman native village trip. It was ok. The Totem polls are cool and the dancing in the clan house was nice. It seemed to take up to much time thou. Not enough time left to see city and shop.

I definately want to go back!

Kim

Yes we booked through Holland America. In Juneau we also took the roundtrip bus up to the Mendenhall Glacier. I think it was $10 round trip. We just purchased that at the dock. I think it was through Frontier tours.

Enjoy your trip!

Kim

OK, I have asked this numerous times, I hope you can help. If you bought your tickets on the ship were you able to board any car you wanted? Did you stop in town and pick-up passengers? Did you see the depot in town and do you know how far it is from the pier? We have family arriving on another cruise ship and we want to be together on this train. Any help??

I assume you are talking about the White Pass RR? Your tickets are for specific cars of the train so people arriving on the other ship wouldn't be with you. Best would be for either group to purchase the total tickets for your entire group. Then one group meet at the other's gangway at a specific time. Generally the trains do not pick up depot passengers as they run separate trains. The depot is between First and Second- entrys on both streets- between Broadway and Spring.

Thanks to all who answered my questions. My DN called the Whitepass office direct and the only way we can all be on the same train is to book in town. We will pray for clear sky and a short walk. (I asked this question so many times I need to post it for all you helpful CC's)

Archived