Private Guides-Rome, Naples, Santorini and Athens

We also used driveamalfi (website) for our excursion from our ship. We had emailed several other drivers, and although several seemed OK, Salvatore's professional and organized replies to us as well as responses on the boards by other people who had used his service really gave us the confidence to select him. We were not disappointed. Salvatore sent Roberto as our driver and he was amazing. His English is excellent and his driving is cautious along the steep narrow roads. He actually lives in the town of Amalfi and has a wealth of knowledge about the coast. He made suggestions as to how we could spend our time effectively, but was always flexible and never pushy. We have wonderful photos and memories of the spectacular coast and can't wait to go back. We managed to see everything that we had hoped for and even arrived back to the ship in time!

Ciao, 180743

The amalfi coast private tour sounds wonderful. Can you get a private driver for 3 people or do they add people to your tour? I don't care either way. What are the sites to see on this tour? What can you expect to do in the time alotted? Can I see Positano, Sorrento, Amalfi, Ravello and Pompeii? which would you eliminate and which are the "must sees"?

One more question. I am very apprehensive about getting from the airport to a hotel in Rome and then getting from the hotel to the port and from the port to the airport. Would it be possible to use a private driver to do this as well as give us a tour in Rome? Would the price be astonomical for 3 of us or do they pick up others to lower the price? Has anyone done this or have you used different travel arrangements for the tour of Rome? Are there any other easy ways to do this without me feeling so anxious and not spending a fortune?

We are just back from Galaxy and used Francesco Marapese (his full name plus dot com is his website -- very entertaining site). He was excellent at customizing a day to fit all our needs. We arrived at 7 am but needed time for ship's clearance. We met him at 8 am. Ship sailed at 6 pm, but we (two) needed to be back by about 4:30, since we had early dinner seating (at 6). We didn't get as far as Amalfi or up to Rafello, but we had a wonderful tour of the Amalfi Drive, Positano, and Sorrento (with lunch right on the water). Had enough time for just under 2 hours at Pompei. There four of us used an audio guide I purchased at audible.com. It's called iJourneys, and we found them excellent. Also purchased and used for Coliseum and Forum and Pantheon areas in Rome. At audible.com they are only about $10 each; work on any iPod or MP3 player.

Heartily recommend Francesco. Great English. Compfortable Mercedes minivan for up to 6. (He also quotes for 4; not sure price for 3.)Very personable and humorous (also, girls, handsome!).

C-breeze, if you use Salvatore from driveamalfi the places you named are exactly where you will go only he will take you to the heart of these beautifull towns and to see personal places and local restuarants. We were fortunate to request Salvatore and did get him as a guide. He was fabulouse, freindly, courteous and a gentleman. He knew how to get around the traffic so the time in the vehicle was all quality. As far as only three on the tour thats no problem but you will pay the same or almost the same as for six or eight. When we were booking our trip I asked on CC if anyone else would like to share this experience and did get a couple to share one one trip and a family on another. This made the price much more reasonable and actually made some good friends and it was much more fun. Good luck but if I were you I would make a reservation asap! Chow!!!

• 4 years later...
Can you share with me how I can get in touch with the private drivers that you used in these ports and also approximately how much each one cost? We have not used private guides in the past but are thinking about giving it a try on our cruise in 5/05. Thanks for your help.

Just make sure he is the real deal. Nikos gave us a stand in who couldn't speak English. He took us all around the island, but without any conversation except a few words in English and talking on the phone constantly. His Mercedes was an antiquated dinosaur, not the new one he promised. Very, very sad day for the four of us! I even wrote the real Nikos and he promised to check in to it, but didn't! He just pulled a fast one on us!!!:eek:

Archived