Cairo Museum

kdowneymd

All of those visiting Cairo in the next few months may want to remember that the King Tut exhibit is currently touring the United States. It is in Philadelphia until September and then moves to London.

We were in Egypt while the exhibit was in Los Angeles. There is still a huge amount of King Tut stuff in the Museum, including the famous golden mask. Indeed, the coffin is on the tour, but you will still find the exhibit in Cairo fascinating and see plenty of amazing things!

Don't miss the oppertunity to visit the Faroah's in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. It's the highlight of the museum. You have to pay a small entree fee, it's worth it. You see the nails, hairds, fingers...it's so weird. They are 3000 years old and still 'good looking' :)

To those of you who have been to the Museum in Cairo in the past several years, have they used the money raised by the touring King Tut exhibit to upgrade the museum especially the toilets. We were there over 15 years ago and were so happy we had the opportunity to see the King Tut exhibit in Los Angeles when it was touring there the first time over 20 years ago. We were happy we used the facilities at the Hilton Hotel when we had lunch. We are planning on going back in 2008 and taking a cruise on the Nile and go to Petra.

Sheila

As MercedMike said, there is far more to see in the Cairo Museum than just the Tutankhamun collection, and it is so huge that the pieces on tour probably won't be missed too much.

One area I would recommend is the jewellery room, which is (was? it's a while since we were there) close to the Tutankhamun rooms. Lots of the stuff is much too heavy and ornate by modern standards, but try and see some of the Middle Kingdom jewellery, which is quite delicate - the Egyptians did their best work during this period.

• 2 months later...

While in the Museum, don't miss a short visit to see the Blue Hippopotamus! It's a small statue, 2nd floor, near front window...13th century (I think) and the most beautiful shade of blue.

William, his big brother, is the mascot for the Metropolitan in New York. I had heard there was one in the Egyptian Museum, but none of the guides knew where he was nor had they heard of him.

The Museum has little well-priced replicas should you fall in love with the statue.

I do love the Tut Exhibit, the jewelry room and the beautifully painted mummy cases, but I think there is so much MORE to see there. Our (private) tour guide was trying to hussle us out of there in one hour after a rapid fire walk through the highlights. After settling her in the coffee shop, we spent three more hours on our own enjoying the well-marked exhibits. We also found that many of the guard/docents spoke English and were interested in telling us more about what we were seeing.

Egypt was wonderful. I thought it would be a once in a lifetime trip, but plan to go back within two years.

Murphysmum

Egypt was wonderful. I thought it would be a once in a lifetime trip, but plan to go back within two years.

Murphysmum

We too thought our first trip to Egypt would be a "once in a lifetime" experience, but so far the trip count is up to seven, and we hope that won't be the final count!

Archived