Stratford Upon Avon

Denverite

We are thinking of taking the train from London to Stratford Upon Avon (apparently you can get the train at the Marylebone station) with no changes required and it takes about 2 to 2-1/2 hrs. I've located the Marylebone station on a map so should be able to find how to get there on the tube from Victoria tube station near where we are staying. My question is: We want to return back to London that evening. Would we have time if we took the 0941 train to see Stratford Upon Avon and still have time to get a cab from Stratford to Warwick Castle? We will be there the end of August and probably very crowded so I am wondering if it will be difficult to get a cab. Would it be better to just stay in Stratford the entire day and skip the castle? I have looked at tours but I think they tend to not spend much time at any one place and we would like the flexibility of going at our own pace. I'm sure we would be just fine spending the day in Stratford and if time, then go to Warwick, but thought I would ask for anyone's opinions. Thanks...Fran

If you timed it right, you could simply get the train from London to Stratford, then from Stratford back to Warwick, and then from Warwick back to London. It looks to me like Warwick is one of the intermediate stops between London Marylebone and Stratford-upon-Avon.

But I can't imagine that it would be difficult to get a cab for the short journey to Warwick.

BTW, for Victoria -> Marylebone: Take the Victoria Line to Oxford Circus, and change there for the Bakerloo Line to Marylebone. It's basically a cross-platform change - one of the easier changes that you can make on the Tube system.

If you're leaving at 9:40 for a day tour, one presumes to get the cheaper rail fares there is a strong argument to take a tour even with your leanings towards independence.

Getting there by train at midday just leaves you time to have a walk along the river by the theatre and visit Shakespeare's birthplace. Anne Hathaway's Cottage, the icon picture of Stratford is about 3 miles outside Stratford itself.

Stratford to Warwick is about 20 minutes by taxi.

If you take a good tour like Astral's day tour as an example.

Pickup from London hotel at about 7:30, arrive Oxford about 9:30, have a 1 hour walking tour of Oxford Colleges. 90 minute drive through the Cotswolds along the lanes through the wolds (Astral use small buses). 90 minutes at Stratford, preceded by a drive around the town centre with the guide showing you the bits you take ages to find independently and the best places to grab a snack/lunch. Then to WarwicK castle for 2 hours via Anne hathways's Cottage, back to hotel about 18:30.

Going independently and leaving so late you won't have any more time in Stratford and Warwick than taking the tour, it is no more expensive and you get a lot of pluses as well. The nature of Stratford and Warwick is that you won't be chaporoned around them by a bleating guide and will have largely the same experience at both as if independent.

Archived