1st cruisers set to sail on Rhapsody...

Hi my husband and I just booked our first cruise on the Rhapsody of the3 Seas for 3-25-07, 7 nights out of Galvaston, TX, we can't wait :D , I'm hooked on this site! My question is, we are flying in from Michigan to Houston on Saturday afternoon and wanted a recommedation on getting to the pier on Sunday, should we rent a car or are there shuttles? We got our own airfare, it was half the price. I thought get a room close to the pier in Galvaston so were there already, but heard that a taxi is $150 :mad: from the airport! Any suggestions would be great!!! Hotel suggestions also! Are there any hotel shuttles that pick up at the airport and bring you to the hotel?? Thank you all so much, I'm like a sea sponge soaking up all the info!!! ;)

You are going to love Rhapsody. She is beautiful. We sailed on her last October and just got home today from Splendour.

There is an airport shuttle, but I do not know the cost. I'm sure others here will jump in and give you that info. The Harbour House is right next to the port and they have lovely rooms. Their web site is harbour house.com also in Galveston the entire Seawall Blvd. is lined with hotels. Try looking at the Galveston web site and then decide.

Have a wonderful cruise!

We rented a one day, one-way, from Enterprise at Houston Airport (Bush) on Saturday. Cost us $25.00 (incl taxes) for a KIA Reo. All of our luggage (just the two of us-2 large bags and 2 carry-ons) fit in the trunk. On Sunday we drove to the pier and dropped off our luggage. I waited at the pier with a good book while the DH returned the car in Galveston 4 miles from the pier. They drove him back to the ship. Took less than 20 minutes for him to join me at the ship. Don't know if the price would be the same doing a return, one-way. We chose Carnival for the trip back to the airport.

Can't help you much on the airport transfer, we drive in from San Antonio.

But as far as hotels on Galveston, try galveston.com, link to the hotels/lodging and you'll have a good list to choose from. Also, their rates are discounted so you'll get a good price.

We'll be on Rhapsody about a month after you are and as the previous post stated, Rhapsody is a greaaaaaaaaaaaat ship and has the best and friendliest crew.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise.;)

Go to the Gulf Coast Departures thread on Cruise Critic for lots of discussion on transportation to the Galveston cruise terminals from both Houston airports (IAH is Bush/Intercontinental, HOU is Hobby Airport). From what I have read, the rental car deal reported by Smiling Cruiser is the best way to go if you don't mind driving.

If you have a choice, use HOU as it is on the south side of Houston and much closer to Galveston.

You will LOVE the Rhapsody:) . She has the best crew and Texan guests are a hoot. We had the best time with our tablemates at dinner. We also did the one-way rental through Enterprise. The one-way to Galvaston much cheaper than going back to Houston though. It was real simple and only a 45 min drive. I hope you have a balcony cabin they are the ony way to go.

Galveston Limo runs from both airports, you can find them online too. I forget their rates. I agree with going to the gulf coast departures board on here, lots of good information for sailing from Galveston.

Glad you are getting to sail Rhapsody before she leaves.

Archived