Our Day in Antigua

judyf

A little late from my Nov. cruise but just realized I forgot to post it on the port board.

Antigua: Nassau: Monday 11/13/06 8::00am to 4:30pm-all aboard

I had booked horseback riding at this port and a tour with Charley through Antigua Guy on the port board. When we arrived I couldn't find Charley or the location where I was to meet Charley. I was giving a price of $130-140 for all 4 of us with the admission price to the Dockyard included. We tried to find Charley but couldn't, we met many, many guides looking to take you on any kind of tour. We found Nelson and he gave us a price of $20 pp much cheaper then I had booked. I can't remember if he charged full price or half for mt grand daughter, I think it was half price.

We explained that the most important thing we wanted to do was go horseback riding and we knew Mr. Miller had it available. We had a great tour he took us to a church where we were able to get out and go inside and there was a good view of the ships. Then up to the dockyard, we really didn't want to go in and do the history stuff so we decided not to go in. There was another couple with us from another ship that was there, I can't remember but I think it was a RCCL ship. I know it was from Miami. It worked out great cause they didn't want to go into the dockyard either.

We then drove to look out points and through the rain forest, we had a little bit of rain but not much. It was cloudy in Antigua as in was in Barbados yesterday.

He had a nice AC van and there was plenty of room for the 6 of us. Nelson dropped us off by the horses as you enter Dickinson Bay Beach. The horseback riding was $35 pp again I can't remember if he charged for my GD. The ride was great and as you will see in the pictures the horses were in great shape. This was one of the highlights of our cruise for all of us especially my GD, as this is all she asked to do.

The beach was close to the ship so we had schedule Nelson to pick us up at 4pm and we had plenty of time and then it was back on the ship.

I suggest in this port to just get a tour after you get off the ship, there are plenty of guides available and they were all very polite. Nelson's tour was a great tour so if you can ask for Nelson. It's easy to remember cause it's the same name as the Nelson Dockyard there.

In Antigua, we had lunch at the beach at the place where Nelson dropped us off, it was a little high but the food was good and it was a decent size plate for the money. I paid like $17.00 for a club sandwich and a Antigua Smile, a rum drink, it was good.

As I was swimming I went out over my head a ways out and a jelly fish stung my leg. It felt like a bee sting. I kept swimming, after that my daughter and SIL ran out of the water and didn't go back in, my GD and I had a great time.

When we returned back to the ship many told us they were in the rain a lot today, we lucked out and was on the other side of the island when it rained.

Here's a link to our Anitua pictures.

http://family.webshots.com/album/556093822lDUJNa

Thank you for posting your review. We will be on the Adventures of the Seas May 3rd in Antigua.

We almost booked a land tour with Charley. Antigua guy has recommended Charley to us. After communicating with him several times via e-mail; I didn't feel very confident. the price of the tour kept changing. He was suggesting places to see that we didn't have any interest in seeing.

After reading your review, I am very glad that we booked RCI's 4x4 excursion. Your day sounded like fun but I don't like suprises.

Archived