One more formal night question

RIARE12

Nothing isn't too dressy for formal night, Wendy and I dress to kill, and she has some nice formal dresses.

Fred

Actually, White Tie and Tails would Be too dressy, Fred. Although I did see a namesake, Fred Astaire once dress like that in a movie about a cruise ship.

But then that was the 1930s, and also that's what Fred looked best in.

Styles change. Q'uelle domage.

BnB

Oh, to the OP. You have touched on PRECISELY the reason that many folks living in the 21st century DON'T pay attention to the alleged "formal rules" on certain cruiselines. (a) It would require an extra piece of luggage for ONE GARMENT- In the OLD DAYS - and I leave it to those of you out there to decide whether the old days were "good" or "bad" - folks used to drag an unheard of amount of luggage on to their suites on the ocean liners. Of course those folks were usually quite wealthy since they were the only ones who could afford to travel in such style, while going to Europe or the Orient.

But they were packing for months and months away from their homes. They had STEAMER CHESTS, and portable ARMOIRS, to cart all of the fashions of the day on board. After all, one must present oneself in the best light ( translation - showing off just how fabulously rich you really are) to ones patrician peers.

These days, cruise vacations are much more democratic. Except for Cunard, one dines in the same room as others, no matter how high up on the pecking order your "suite" is; whether it be the presidential or an inside cabin tomb.

Why the practice started by the middle class wanting to ape the manners of the wealthy; hasn't come to a crashing end, in the 21st century is frankly beyond me. It is dying, slowly but surely.

oh yes, there was an (a) so (b) is, why on earth would you want to ruin a perfectly good gown by cramming it into a folding piece of luggage?

Do not worry there will be many onboard who consider "formal" to be more akin to "elegant casual" which is a broad interpretation.

My best advice is to pack as lightly and as rationally as you can, and don't be thrown off by the clothing police.

BnB

:D midimarv no problem .Heck i did that number many times when going to a Broadway show & dinner or the NY Oprera .Was a lot younger & when traveling was willing to lug a lot of luggage around. Now, I found it a whole lot easier & simpler to travel light.

Do have one blue suit jacket & put on my blue dickies. Then take off the jacket a put on my white sweater.

To each their own. you cold weather East coasters need those extra layers LOL

What you remember from those times in NYC is no longer the case. Virtually no one dresses up to go to a Broadway show anymore. (Actually virtually no native NYrs go to broadway shows anymore since they became an extension of Disneyworld- It is well known that the Broadway shows are for the tourist trade - they are marketed that way, and designed that way. There will be practically no "great American songbook" tunes coming out of the past decade of longruns.) There is more dressing up going on for the Opera, but then, reference my prior post, and think - who can afford to go to the Met and sit in the Orchestra or First Loge? Those who delight in showing off that little trinket from Tiffany or maybe DeBeers, to their peers.

As for NYC restaurants, except for one or two ( I think LaCaravelle or Grenouille, old institutions) NO three, four or five star restaurants require Jackets AND Ties anymore. Some might gently suggest a jacket, but expect their clientele to know that anyway. Yet even in those places, men dressed in slacks and a "golf style" rolled collar shirt (ex. Ralph Lauren) are gratiously seated. Of course, women can wear any thing they wish, especially if they are a "hottie".

Same thing goes for New Orleans, and we are there plenty, and have eaten in just about all of the finest restaurants. Dress has become more and more casual just about universally.

BnB

2000 passengers and 2000 opinions. Undoubtedly there are those that think golf attire is formal. I'm sure there is more than a few passengers who would like to come into the dining room in their swim wear given the opportunity. They have to draw the line somewhere.

:) Yes we each have our opinions . Because of weight I limit to one blue blazer & shoes that can go casual & dress .I use a dressy shirt but no ties or cuff links .This way I can reduce what I use to carry down about 15-20 lbs.

BTW &FWIW more & more cruises except for the 6 star are dressing down in the last several years.Seems to be a trend.

I know right:p I only remember the really out there people or funny ones. Like a person with a SUPER orange tan wearing a fire engine red gown

This is funny. People like that ASK for attention.

Why is it that everyone always says that? "You're the only one that you have to worry about being happy"? What about the other 2000 people that paid the same amount (or more) than you? Worrying about yourself is one thing, but worrying ONLY about yourself is self-centered, egotistical and just downright rude. How about if you have some common courtesy for the other 2000 people on the ship with you? If you want to be by yourself, there are plenty of places you can vacation where you're not in public. :mad:

Cruise police strikes again!!!

2000 passengers and 2000 opinions. Undoubtedly there are those that think golf attire is formal. I'm sure there is more than a few passengers who would like to come into the dining room in their swim wear given the opportunity. They have to draw the line somewhere.

I never said that they didn't have to draw the somewhere. Nor did I say that 'golf attire' is formal. While I love dressing up, (and it is a lot easier for a girl as far as options go) there are lots of people who still enjoy the formal dining experience but might like to do it in something other than the 'dress' clothes they where to work every day.

Archived