duty free

bixy

Going on the Star in April and I am wondering what people have bought duty free latley?

Also when you buy duty free in Australia before you depart they get all details of your purchase and record it against your passport to make it easier for customs. Do they record your purchases on board? Also wanting to know if they have duty free champange such as Perrier Jouet, Moet and Chandon?

Thanks

Bixy

They had liquor specials on board the Pacific Star when we travelled (2 X 1 litre for $30 - Bacardi, Captain Morgan Rum and a few other spirits). They didn't ask for our passport when we purchased on board. Any liquor you do purchase on board is held by the ship in bond and delivered to your cabin on the last day (as is any liquor that you purchase on shore along the way). You don't need to declare any liquor that is under the prescribed limited (2.2 litres per person over 18 years of age I think). I didn't see much else on board the Star that was "duty free", but they had good deals on watches and jewellry. I don't recall any duty free champagne or wine on board.

If you are going to Vila, there are some good value duty free locations there. Liquor was around $1 to $2 cheaper per bottle at Feng Kui's (?) in Vila than it was on board, but by the time you factor in the $10 each way taxi fare it doesn't actually work out cheaper (unless of course you are doing something else in Vila).

And if you purchase goods to the value of $300 or more in Australia within 30 days of departure on the one sales docket, and if you take it with you, you can claim the GST (10%) as a refund through the Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS). There is a stand inside the cruise terminal to do this once you have cleared immigration.

Archived