How much time to get to the airport?

jobythebay

Hi We are arranging our own air from San Juan to NY. The boat is scheduled to dock at 7 am. What do you think the earliest flight we should make. I know debarkation (is that the word) varies - This is on the Century Summit - but I would think there might be a general guideline? Thanks. jo

For such a basic question faced by nearly everyone who cruises from San Juan, one would think the answer would be prominently displayed on websites operated by cruise lines, but it isn't. Kudos to Carnival, however, who posts the following in their FAQ section:

What is the earliest I can book my return flight? Recommended times for outbound air flights.

San Juan - earliest return flight after 12:00 PM

Of course, the answer is a little more complex than this. Generally, it is a cost-risk tradeoff. Booking something earlier than noon increases one's chance of missing their flight. However, the risk/rewards tradeoff may be favorable. While I wouldn't book something as early as 10:30 AM, I am aware of others who have.

I wasn't clear on whether you meant what time should you book your flight returning to San Juan or what time you should book your flight leaving San Juan and flying to NYC.

Definetely want to be in NYC early morning--preferably the night before.

Always book afternoon flights home because you never know when there will be delays getting back into port or a shortage of custom agents. We had problems getting on the ship in Brooklyn last Fall because it was late getting back and too many other ships were in port so there we fewer customs agents available.

My DD called me from San Juan on Wed afternoon while her ship was docked there. She was happy to stop at the Coach Outlet for a little purse to add to her collection. Why do women want so many purses? One does me fine for each season.

Archived