Is Penthouse A or B worth it on Mariner?

OrlandoPro2007

We have finally decided to changed from HAL to Regent for an Alaska cruise this summer. Is the butler service you receive in Penthouse A or B worth the money? It doesn't appear that there is a bad room on the ship? We have only done the Carribean and that on Royal....so we are looking forward the the upgrade.

We went with a Penthouse on Mariner a couple of years ago and loved the space. We were "lucky" and got upgraded from a Category C (no butler) to Category B (butler). Frankly, I would have been really ticked off if I had actaully paid for the B instead of the C. It was initially amusing to have a butler, but there was not a thing that we really needed from him. He even screwed up our specialty restuarant reservation - would not have happened if I had just done it myself. So, go for the C, but I wouldn't recommend going for the butler.

NJBellle

We had a butler on the PG a couple of years ago. I had read on this board and been told by my TA that the butler would add "tons of extra perks", free pressing on "formal" nights (just less casual nights on the PG) serving your in room dining course by course (we boarded on our anniversary and didn't want to deal with the rush of weary travelers in any restaurant) as well as other things that I can't now recall. None of that happened. He just brought us canapes in the evenings. That's about it. The butler also intercepted all room service orders - which was annoying since he wasn't getting our orders right and we were trying to ditch him to get our breakfast done right.

Go with the cabin you want and save the money - I wish we had.

Have a great trip!

Archived