Alaska 08 - ? about wildlife viewing...

nobbync

Hello everyone,

I am planning to go back to Alaska in 2008 and had a few questions about wildlife.

I went to Alaska a few years back on the Regal Princess 10 days r/t from San Francisco. We went late May/June and the trip was great. Only problem was our only wildlife viewing excursion was in Juneau and we missed that because the ship got there 4 hours late due to weather. In Ketchikan Bald Eagles were everywhere and besides a speck that was a bear on the shore entering Tracy Arm we didn't see many much of other wildlife. Oh yeah, we saw a few spouts that were whales but nothing up close.

This time I want to go up there and get in the middle of the wildlife to photograph. I am going to do whatever excursions I can to see what I can and I already have a few in mind from independant operators. I have done lots of homework so I have an idea of when I want to go but I wanted to see what others think.

What do you think is the best time for wildlife viewing in general? I know bears are better in Aug and Sep but if I went in August are the Eagles still all over? How about the puffins, whales and anything else up there? I understand that it's just the luck of the draw sometimes but I want to go with the best chance of getting some good photos and viewing the incredible wildlife. Last time we had some fantastic views of the land and this time I'd like both wildlife and scenic views.

Our plans are to go r/t out of Seattle so inside passage only this time because that is what the family wants. Maybe later I will do a one way and then take a week or so to run around myself up north but for now inside passage it is... Plus the Regal Princess cruise we did Tracy Arm and I'd really like to do Hubbard or Glacier Bay this time.

Thanks for any and all comments and happy cruising everyone.

Nobby

If puffins are a must, then you have to find a cruise that includes Sitka. Only accessable puffin rookery of inside passage cruise ports. From there you would be best on an independent charter- pay for the boat yourself and stay out your port time, with a visit to St. Lazaria. I've done this twice and was superior to a regular boat run. Good opportuntity for sea otters, puffins and humpbacks.

For bears- you need to look at browns with a fly in out of Juneau to Pack Creek and or fly in to Anan out of Ketchikan. I would look at very end of July into the first two weeks of August. Yes Eagles are still very viewable everywhere.

IF you can include Hoonah- brown bears are possible without a fly in and excellent for humpbacks. Otherwise Juneau is a must for humpbacks.

Final thought should be a full day in Victoria, which few ships offer. This is a must for orca tours. Otherwise, add a few days for an add on out of Seattle, don't consider this for a day trip. At least one overnight is necesssary in my opinion. I frequently go out on a couple times for orcas when there.

As you can see- tours are necessary, which you didn't consider your first trip. The brochures are greatly enhanced. :) I have excellent viewing during the cruise, but I also spend all my time out on deck, which very few passengers are willing to do. It pays to hook up with a ship naturalist, and a good pair or wide angle binoculars are a must. Good luck with your planning. Don't expect it all on a single trip- take what you can get and plan for more later. :)

First thing is sorry for the double posting of this. Yesterday the Cruise Critic message board was having problems and it posted the blank message...

Hi Budget Queen,

Thank you so much for the information. This info is what I was looking for.

If puffins are a must, then you have to find a cruise that includes Sitka. Only accessable puffin rookery of inside passage cruise ports. From there you would be best on an independent charter- pay for the boat yourself and stay out your port time, with a visit to St. Lazaria. I've done this twice and was superior to a regular boat run. Good opportuntity for sea otters, puffins and humpbacks.

I was actually leaning towards a HAL cruise with Sitka. I also saw some posts where people used the Esther G for the charter and that's what I will look into. What charter's have you used? Also Puffins are not a must but would be nice so in your opinion do you think Sitka is better then Skagway for wildlife? I was already leaning towards Sitka anyway and the Esther G but am still not 100%.

For bears- you need to look at browns with a fly in out of Juneau to Pack Creek and or fly in to Anan out of Ketchikan. I would look at very end of July into the first two weeks of August. Yes Eagles are still very viewable everywhere.

This is also great info and August is where I was thinking so maybe early August for the bears would be good.

IF you can include Hoonah- brown bears are possible without a fly in and excellent for humpbacks. Otherwise Juneau is a must for humpbacks.

It looks like the only ships going to Hoonah are the ones going one way. I will do this at a later date when I am not vetoed by the group. I wanted to do Vancouver to Seward and spend a coupls days before taking another cruise back to Vancouver but my wife will have a difficult time taking that many days for vacation. Looks like I'll be back for more Alaska later. So it looks like Juneau will be for the humpbacks.

Final thought should be a full day in Victoria, which few ships offer. This is a must for orca tours. Otherwise, add a few days for an add on out of Seattle, don't consider this for a day trip. At least one overnight is necesssary in my opinion. I frequently go out on a couple times for orcas when there.

This will also have to be for another time. The 08 schedules aren't out yet but if they are anything like the 07 schedules it looks like Victoria is only 4 or 5 hours in the evening. I will still probably do an orca tour if possible and hope to get lucky.

As you can see- tours are necessary, which you didn't consider your first trip. The brochures are greatly enhanced. :) I have excellent viewing during the cruise, but I also spend all my time out on deck, which very few passengers are willing to do. It pays to hook up with a ship naturalist, and a good pair or wide angle binoculars are a must. Good luck with your planning. Don't expect it all on a single trip- take what you can get and plan for more later. :)

On the first cruise I also stayed on deck almost all day. I was in Alaska and really wanted to see everything and I did become friends with our naturalist. I got to listen to so many stories from him and that really made the cruise for me. I didn't have the binoculars but know I should have brought some so I won't forget this time. I also didn't have very good lenses for my camera then but since then I have upgraded my lenses and camera so that should also be nice.

We also did book a good wildlife tour in Juneau but we got there too late and missed it. Since I was with my mom then we really couldn't get too adventurous but still did things like the railroad in Skagway and Butchart Gardens in Victoria. This time I am doing the cruise specifically to photograph the wildlife and scenery of Alaska and I know I can't do it all in one trip but I can try! :D Plus I know I will be back as long as I am able to do it. If I wasn't doing the 15 days to Hawaii this year I would be going to Alaska this summer but I don't have unlimted vacation so 08 and beyond it is...

Thanks again for all the great information.

Nobby

Sitka is definately superior to Skagway for wildlife. I went with a tour operator who died in a diving accident. My regret is I didn't go out with him the last time, we talked for a while. The puffins had already gone out to sea, so I decided not to go out. My loss.

Archived