Is the Carnival Spirit any good for Mexico cruise?

laidbackin LA

I am considering the idea of a Carnival Spirit cruise in April to Mexico. I am a person who would regularly sail up-market, on Celebrity or HAL. I want some elegance at meals and in the evening.

Would I be able to build a more up-scale experience on the Spirit? Or would I feel sleazed out? Go ahead and bash me for being kind of snobby.

Also, my husband likes attentive service people who chat a lot.

While we certainly enjoyed our cruise on the Spirit, I definitely felt it was a step down from the Sapphire Princess cruise we took the year prior. I felt the decor, service, dining room food (subjective I know), entertainment, and activites were better on Sapphire.

On Princess, most of the staff went out of their way to make eye contact and say hello. On the Spirit, it seemed most would look down to avoid eye contact.

This is my opinion. I've not sailed HAL or Celebrity, so I can't compare those.

I usually sail with HAL, but wanted to try Carnival for my upcoming cruise. I think it will be just fine. Just incase I felt uncomfortable, I booked a balcony cabin so I could have some place in the sun that isn't crowded.

I don' t really care though, I just want to be on a ship!

I was on the Pride (a Spirit class ship) to the Mexican Riviera and enjoyed it a lot. I am considering the Spirit to Mexico also. However, even though we had a great wait staff on the Pride (and enjoyed talking with them) you are not going to get the same level of service you would get on HAL or Celebrity. Also, if this matters to you, don't expect people to be dressed as finely on Carnival as you would expect on HAL or Celebrity.

We are sailing on the Spirit very soon, and for the 3rd time. (Have sailed many times on RCCL and many on other Carnival ships. Also once on Celebrity Summit.) The 1st time on Spirit was Jan '06. We LOVED it. Sailed again in Dec. '06, and thought "what happened?!). It was definately not the same. Way downhill, in my opinion and that of DH. This was not in all aspects and some of the issues could have been just bad luck or whatever. The cabins are great. (Beds are awesome!). Cabin attendent could not have been better. Food had taken a nose dive. (This was not a fluke). Service in dining room was very bad. (This could have been a fluke, and we didn't complain soon enough). Prior to the Dec. cruise, we were very happy with Carnival but preferred RCCL. (Celebrity too snooty!). After Dec. cruise, decided no more Carnival. (And that was before sailing on RCCL Brilliance). THEN saw an incredible last minute deal on Spirit and off we go. The money and the fact that we can drive to the port are big issues. The ports are different and really pretty good. Wanted a balcony and stole one plus got a huge upgrade. There is something going on here............. I am not a snob, however the crowd was different on Spirit in Dec. than in Jan. Not many dressed up and alot seemed, well, a bit less sophisticated? I hope this helps and sorry to go on and on. Sounds to me like Celebrity should be your pick. (Carnival owns them, no? Can't remember) Hey, it's all good and what we make of it. Enjoy!

Archived