Fake nails...revisited...

Hi..I've searched and read through threads about fake nails...but they were kind of old posts so i wanted to revisit the subject for my very 1st cruise leaving NYC next Saturday (can't wait)...well here's the dilema, I have ok looking nails but, of course with my luck, i've broken two, rest are long...since this is my first cruise, I'm overdoing it I'm sure...I want everything to be perfect and glamourous..lol...well I'm pondering fake nails for the trip...usually only get them done for weddings, etc.. but they now look a mess not to mention the chipping that occurs within like 3 days of a manicure....just wanted other opinions, because like I said this is my first cruise...my bf and I are going and I want to look great...head to toenails...

I'm not a big fan of acrylic nails, too much damage done to the natural nail. They work fine for a lot of women, otherwise there wouldn't be so many nail shops around. But, acrylics are a bad idea if they are temporary, they need to be well maintained and that is an every two week commitment.

I am wearing gel nails again after a year break and I find I'm loving them. Less damage (a lot less) to the natural nail and the advantage of only being a coating over the natural nail, not an extension.

I'm also not a fan of long nails, preferring shorter, more natural lengths. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having all your nails short and they look great if they are well manicured. I always have clear polish (or gel, no color) on my fingers, then a fun color on my toes. Since I like to pack light and not worry on vacation (or at any other time in my life :) ) clear just works for me, no chips to be fixed, no bottles of polish to take along.

Jerseygrl111

Hi,

Personally, I like my nails short and natural and I try to keep my cuticles pushed back and my hands moisturized. This is especially true while on vacation so that I don't have to worry about maintenance. Conversely, I like to keep my toenails polished a subtle pinkish color; then if I do chip one it won't be too obvious.

Please don't stress too much about anything, just enjoy every minute of your cruise! :)

I used to be a HUGE fan of fake nails. My natural nails grow fast and for the most part look pretty healthy but I do like how longer finger nails make my hands look. I have long slender fingers and long painted nails make them look nice plus they make my 2 carot diamond look even more fab.! :) I don't liek the real long nails only a length that still looks real.

But the damage the nails cause it takes my nails at least 6 months to heal and get back to normal.

I always weigh the pro and the cons when trying to decide what to do.

Pros: they look nice and I like them.

Cons: the cost of having them applied, cost of maintaining them, the damage they cause, the cost of having one or more repaired while cruising is very expensive, and honestly they always got in my way when trying to get dressed in my fancy duds on formal night:D .

I don't think I will ever use them again, keeping my nails clean, and manicured is good for me. I don't even like to apply polish on my finger nails becasue it does cause them to turn yellow. Now my toe nails thats a different story. ;)

Have a wonderful cruise!

It sounds like you equate acrylic nails with dressing up/treating yourself. So I say, do it! I'm in the same boat with you, I never feel complete without having my nails done. I might suggest going with pink and white acrylics (the actual acrylic is colored) so you don't have to worry about polish chips or yellowing with the sun. I would suggest you get the full pink and white set a few weeks in advance and a fill just before you go. The nail tech typically has the white portion go a bit father down the nail (toward the cuticle) with the first application so having one fill will put the "white line" in the perfect spot.

Let us know what you deciede.

Enjoy!

Just thought I would throw my two cents in...I've worn pink and white nails for a good 7 years now and have always been in search for a top coat that would not yellow while on a cruise. For those of you that have a Sally Beauty Supply....They have a product called "Yellow Stopper" that helps prevent nails from yellowing and has UV protection which makes the white whiter and the pink a vibrant pink. With all of the sun on a cruise, I find that I need to reapply once while on a cruise, but otherwise, so far, I've been very lucky in keeping the pink, pink and the white, white...Yellow just doesn't work well for me. :)

Happy Cruising!

It looks like the people who have fake nails are saying go for it, and the people who dont are saying, why bother! I have fakes, gel nails, so im gonna say go for it!

If its going to bother you the whole cruise, everytime you look down at your hands, than save yourself the trouble and just get a fake set...how often do you get such a fabulous vacation.

On the other hand, i remember when i first got my nails on, they always got in the way, couldnt itch myself, felt awkward picking things up...so you dont want to spend your vacation trying to get used to these annoying things at first. like one poster stated before me, get them done 2 weeks before, and get a fill in right before you leave. if you decide to get them!

It looks like the people who have fake nails are saying go for it, and the people who dont are saying, why bother! I have fakes, gel nails, so im gonna say go for it!

If its going to bother you the whole cruise, everytime you look down at your hands, than save yourself the trouble and just get a fake set...how often do you get such a fabulous vacation.

On the other hand, i remember when i first got my nails on, they always got in the way, couldnt itch myself, felt awkward picking things up...so you dont want to spend your vacation trying to get used to these annoying things at first. like one poster stated before me, get them done 2 weeks before, and get a fill in right before you leave. if you decide to get them!

Actually, I would never tell anyone to go for it unless they were going to keep them for a while. Neither type of fake nails is a good idea for a temporary fix.

If you're willing to maintain them, the gels are a little less damaging but people have to realize that your natural nails will be compromised for 4-6 months after you remove them. That is typically how long it takes your natural nail to regrow from the base to the tip.

Glue on fake nails would work, but only if you're skilled at gluing them on and realize they easily pop off. And.... they look fake.

Archived