Need some advice about cruise cancellation, please

Bev

Hi

DH and I are confused and would really appreciate your help. Have any of you faced this or similar situation that I've outlined below? How did you resolve it? Do you know who we should contact at Carnival to confirm what is actually owed?

Here's the situation: DH and I are cruising for the first time on Carnival on the Carnival Freedom in April, and we're looking forward to it. This isn't our first cruise though, we have cruised many times with other lines. When we made the original booking, it was for 3 of us to share the cabin - DH and me, and my uncle. In December, the three of us made final payment and each of us took out insurance. Unfortunately, my uncle became ill suddenly and died at the end of January.

The travel agency, well known here at Cruise Critic, is now advising that, because my uncle is no longer going on the cruise, the cabin is "short" of full payment and that we need to pay the difference as if we'd originally booked as 2 in the cabin. Yet, the travel agency also says the estate will be seeking a refund from the insurance company.

It's been our understanding with other cruise lines that once final payment is made, it is not refundable. Does Carival have different practices? Also, if the estate will be refunded from the insurance company, how is the cruise company "short"? We've tried to make this point with the travel agency but we're getting nowhere.

Thanks for any help.

Bev

Carnival's policy for European cruises:

EFFECTIVE 2007 9, 12, 14, & 16 DAY

EUROPE CRUISES Up to 91 days None 90 to 56 days Deposit 55 to 15 days 50% of Total Fare 14 days or less 100% of Total Fare

I fail to see the TAs point on this. Certainly if you went from 2 pax to 1 the single would have to pay the supplement because of the cancellation.

This doesn't sound right to me at all. I would call Carnival. We had an experience with a "travel agency, well known here at Cruise Critic" where they were being totally untruthful with us, and everything still isn't straightened out. Carnival is helping us to do so. I can't help but wonder if it's the same agency, and if so, you really need to call Carnival instead of taking their word for it. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Linda - Can you tell me what department at Carnival you talked with? Or better still, do you have a name and number of someone at Carnival? And, if you're comfortable in sharing the name of the travel agency, please email me at bevsb at rogers dot com

Thanks again.

Bev

Okay MAYBE the travel agent booked your Uncle as passenger Number 1

You as passenger number 2 and your husband as passenger number 3...

since Number 3 pays less fare then maybe the difference has to be made up

ex:

Uncle # 1 fare is (Just say) $579

You # 2 fare is (Just say) $579

Husband #3 fare is (just say) $299

Uncle not going - estate gets refund - Husband has to pay the difference between the $299 and $579 ($280) does this make sense?

EFFECTIVE 2007 9, 12, 14, & 16 DAY

EUROPE CRUISES Up to 91 days None 90 to 56 days Deposit 55 to 15 days 50% of Total Fare 14 days or less 100% of Total Fare

THE way i read this is the cruise is in April..... so it falls in... 55 to 15 days 50% refund by the cruise line, so depends how cruise was booked who was 1, 2 and 3. and the difference in the 3rd passenger rate

Just to let you know sorry for your loss and sad you have to go through this, you must have been close to be sharing a room together.I hope you and your husband can have a wonderful vacarion.

Hi

Thanks for your kind thoughts about my uncle. Yes, we were close, we shared a birthdate. We'll still go on the cruise, enjoy it and have a drink in his honor.

Thanks too for these ideas. I'm going to call Carnival tomorrow to see what they can can tell me. I think my uncle was pasenger #3 but I'm not sure. I'm surprised that Carnival would give any refund - I always thought that once final payment was made, refunds came from insurance, not the cruise company. We'll pay if it's necessary, but just want to be sure about it all.

Bev

Archived