Cell Phone Service

S&LS

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Worked fine for us even in the middle of the Ocean when we sailed on the Noordam this past New Year's. Only thing that didn't work was the text and picture sending. Very clear reception too.

Thanks For Your Quick Reply. When Checking With Verizon, They Did Not Say That The Service Was Available On Ha

Steve

When you're at sea, cell service is not available directly via Verizon or HAL - it's a satellite firm that contracts thru HAL and will charge your cellphone provider directly for as much as $2.75 a minute.

When you're near land, you get your provider to allow for international roaming - that rate is whatever they charge directly.

My current statement from Verizon says that their new cruiseship service works only when the international feature is activated and the rate is 2.49 per minute.

I was planning on activating it anyway for my upcoming Sea of Cortez cruise and now it looks like it will work at sea or on lane ( only for emergencies of course! ) I can't imagine 100's of passengers yapping on their cell phones all day. Sure would defeat the purpose of going on a cruise to get away from it all!

We have Verizon and have never been able to get anything while at sea and it's hit or miss with each port.

Cell service at sea has only been recently installed beginning last fall - if I'm correct, not all ships in the fleet have it yet.

The ones that I'm aware of having it with any certainty are Volendam, Westerdam & Noordam - tho I'm sure there are others...

Archived