After dark in Calica????

Hi, we are traveling to Calica and we will be there from 1pm to 9pm, how are things after dark? It appears we have to travel to Playa because there is nothing in Calica. Where are the best buys for stuff, in Playa or back near the ship before we reboard? which ruins are the closest or best to go to? we wanted to do the ATV thing privately, but when I contacted someone from a website they stated they dont do cruises only hotels. I am not sure I want to just get off the ship and go with some tour guide no one knows. How long of a ride from Playa back to the ship? do they like the american dollar or should we do the pesos???

Thanks M:cool:

countdown.pl?name=Firstcruiser06&date=3-26-2007&image=Beach-8&text=can

Adventure of the Seas- 2/2006

Hi, we are traveling to Calica and we will be there from 1pm to 9pm, how are things after dark? It appears we have to travel to Playa because there is nothing in Calica. Where are the best buys for stuff, in Playa or back near the ship before we reboard? which ruins are the closest or best to go to? we wanted to do the ATV thing privately, but when I contacted someone from a website they stated they dont do cruises only hotels. I am not sure I want to just get off the ship and go with some tour guide no one knows. How long of a ride from Playa back to the ship? do they like the american dollar or should we do the pesos???

Thanks M:cool:

I don't imagine there will be much in Calica after dark but Playa would be fine after dark. You will probably find your best prices in Playa. The ruins at Tulum are the closest. Playa is quite a short ride from Calica (about 10 minutes). American dollars are accepted by virtually everyone but you are likely to get change in pesos (so be sure you know the approximate exchange rate).

If I were in your position (timing wise) I would get off the ship ASAP after it has docked and go to Tulum in the afternoon. Take a taxi to Playa and from there take a Collectivo to Tulum. After you have seen Tulum, take a Collectivo back to Playa. Do a little shopping and/or got to a restaurant.

Eventually take a taxi back to Calica.

Collectivos are mini-van buses (white with a coloured strip) that run along the highway between Playa and Tulum. They are extremely cheap - about $2 each will get you to Tulum (one way). You can also see if you can negotiate with a taxi driver at Calica to take you to Tulum BUT that would probably cost you AT LEAST $40-$60 for the entire taxi one way. A taxi just into Playa should be less than $10 one way.

Archived